Simple installation of toilet fill valve, either Korky or fluidmaster

Users who are viewing this thread

richard8

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a question regarding installing a new fill valve for my toilet.

Please let me know of any suggestions. I just want to make sure I am doing this correctly.

My actual supply line nut is made of metal.

For the flange lock nut that holds the stem of the fill valve. This stem is the portion extended from toilet tank. Is this suppose to be tighten to snug, then and 1/4 turn. Hand finger tighten only.

Also, for the braided stainless steel pressure hose. Is this suppose to be tighten to snug, then and 1/4 turn - 3/8 turn. Hand finger tighten only.

Do not use any wrenches or pliers, or any hardware tool.

Is this correct.

Thank you

Attachments

• toil.jpg
    toil.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 1,297

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You may need pliers for the fill valve nut on the tank.
Though the Korky does spin on by hand.
The stainless flex connector can be done by hand at the top, but the small end near the shutoff will need pliers or a wrench.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Here's a video by Korky on how to install the 528MP fill valve, which has an adjustable refill ratio so you can use it on your Toto:

I think you'll find that the Korky is easiest to install.

Last edited by a moderator:

richard8

Reaction score
flange and nut torque.

You may need pliers for the fill valve nut on the tank.
Though the Korky does spin on by hand.
The stainless flex connector can be done by hand at the top, but the small end near the shutoff will need pliers or a wrench.

Thanks for your help.
Is it tightent to snug then add 1/4 turn.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on your hand strength, that may or may not work. Try it, and if it leaks, you may need some pliers or a wrench to tighten it slightly more. For me, I can generally tighten it enough so it doesn't leak by hand.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
On the Korky, you hand-tighten both the mounting nut that secures the shank to the toilet (beveled side up on that nut), and the coupling nut of the water supply hose to the shank. I tighten by hand until they are kinda snug, then a quarter-turn by hand if possible. That's been good enough for me in all instances, including both new toilets and old toilets I was rehabbing. It doesn't need the extra strain of over-torquing to keep a seal. I have never had a leak doing it that way, and I have installed quite a few of these by now -- all Korkys.

You might find that you need the extra leverage of a pair of pliers to get the old one off. Usually getting the old thing off takes most of the total job time.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Since I do not like to "go back" because of a leak, I tighten the fill valve to the toilet, and supply line to the fill valve as tight as possible with pliers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks