UT-80 Tank not holding water? Micronizer or AVC?

Users who are viewing this thread

_JT_

Reaction score
Hey guys. First time I've ever had to actually log in and ask a question vs use the archives here. This site is just an amazing tool.

Type of pump? Unknown, still working fine
One or two pipes down the well____One

Date Pump Installed__________11/2000

Pumping from?
Water Well____________
Depth of well__________165 feet
Depth to water_________

Pressure Tank?
Bladder or diaphragm tank (one pipe to tank)__________
Size or model of tank____________ Wellxtrol
Air charge in top of tank, with pump off and water drained____________PSI 45
(check with car tire gauge)

Pressure Switch Setting?
On 40, off 60_________
Other_______________

Filters or Softeners______________
Before or after pressure tank_______After Tanks
Type of filter___________________
Bypass available________________

Water Used For?
House Use___x____ Number of baths____3___ Number of People____3____

Problems Experienced
Sulfur

Describe Problem I cut down some of the info list because for the most part I'm thinking most of it doesn't have much to do with my issue. So my well is running fine, with the exception of the sulfur smell we're getting. And thats tied to the UT-80 not holding water at this point. I've attached two pictures. The first being what i believe is the Micronizer which aerates the line, the second is the whole setup we have. The UT-80 is essentially acting as a holding tank to relieve the sulfur buildup and worked great previously.

Roughly a month ago, we started getting some sulfur smell, and I realized that the tank was not retaining water any longer. Well water is passing thru, and I'm not sure if its tied to the AVC or if its the Micronizer which recently started leaking. Does anyone have any experience with any of the wellmate products and a simple solution? I'm wondering if the micronizer has buildup or if its leaking is just a function of the tank not holding water.

The system in total is 13 years old at this point, and the house was in disrepair before we purchased it 3 years ago. Before going to purchase a new micronizer/AVC, i'd like to pinpoint what the issue is, and to see if those items are even something that i could repair/clean before throwing more money down the proverbial drain. Thanks in advance.

-Justin

_jt_-01.jpg

_jt_-02.jpg

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
the ut tank will be waterlogged if the micronizer isn't working right...the avc's on wellmate tanks rarely go bad, and you would have air in your lines in the house if it is. You should be able to hear and feel air being injected through the little hole in the micronizer if it's working right. Sometimes they get some trash in them, you can try the adjustment screw and see if it frees it up. If that doesn't work, there is a little rubber piece inside the round cover on the side of the micronizer that can get torn and need to be replaced....You can order just this piece....and you'll need to turn the pump off and relieve the system pressure to install it.

_JT_

Reaction score
Thanks VA... I'll take a look this week. Wife went into labor about 8 minutes after i posted this, its been a crazy week.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I have a WellMate tank and had to replace the AVC on it once. Essentially it stopped letting air out so the tank had mostly air and very little water in it. The iron filter acted as an air accumulator so the air never ever passed through to the faucets. When the iron filter backwashed, it would burp out a lot of the air and that was causing some of the media to carry up and clog the valves in the head.

I soaked the old AVC in iron and scale remover but not sure if that fixed it or not. I keep it as a spare.

If the micronizer stops sucking air, the tank would waterlog. It could be that it is just not sucking in enough air. Every few years I pull my micronizer apart and soak it in iron and scale remover. The small air valve usually lasts a year or two before it starts leaking.

_JT_

Reaction score
I have a WellMate tank and had to replace the AVC on it once. Essentially it stopped letting air out so the tank had mostly air and very little water in it. The iron filter acted as an air accumulator so the air never ever passed through to the faucets. When the iron filter backwashed, it would burp out a lot of the air and that was causing some of the media to carry up and clog the valves in the head.

I soaked the old AVC in iron and scale remover but not sure if that fixed it or not. I keep it as a spare.

If the micronizer stops sucking air, the tank would waterlog. It could be that it is just not sucking in enough air. Every few years I pull my micronizer apart and soak it in iron and scale remover. The small air valve usually lasts a year or two before it starts leaking.

Ordered the AVC today, LLigetfa, what you described as the tank essentially just being full of air is exactly the issue I'm having. Upon taking the tank top off, i'll go ahead and take off the Micronizer and give it a soak as well since the system will be shut off. Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks