Debris in my filter housing - what is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mortal798

Reaction score
I have a bunch of 'stuff' showing up in my filter housing. I'm not sure what it is. I don't know if it is being pulled up out of my well, or if the inside of my pressure tank is rusting and falling apart. I will post some pictures in a minute...

Mortal798

Reaction score
Here are 2 pics: debris 1.jpgdebris 2.jpg

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's possible the diaphram has ruptured and the shell is rusting from the inside out. How old is the tank?

Does the tank feel heavy?
If you knock on the lower 1/3 of the tank when it's empty does it sound hollow or is there a dull thud?
Does the pump short cycle?
If you run a hose off the tank does the water run clear?
What is the air pressure on the snifter valve at the top of the tank when the tank is empty?
Do you get any water out of the snifter valve when the tank is up to pressure?

Mortal798

Reaction score
The tank is original to the house as far as I know - 1994.

I will empty it today and find out what it sounds like, how heavy it is, as well as what the air pressure is.

The pump does not short cycle, I replaced that 2 years ago.

I will check the water clarity when I empty it.

What is the snifter valve? Do you mean the Schrader valve like on a tire - for filling it with air?

BenWoj

Reaction score
Glad you posted this. I have the same issue and assumed it was coming from the well. I'll have to check my tank now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks