Don't know where else to go

Users who are viewing this thread

Mishtay

Reaction score
I had bought a carpet cleaner second hand at a flea market. Although it seemed to have all the pieces and was in working order, I brought it home only then to realize it was missing a crucial component.

The steam cleaner is an old Bissel model, and the piece that is missing is an attachment that connects to the faucet. ( I will post a picture of it shortly) I have contacted Bissel and they do not carry replacement pieces for this model anymore. They also have not provided me with any further ways of adapting it to my faucet. I have contacted all my local vacuum shops, with no avail. And have also gone to my local home hardware shop and bought any pieces I personally would work.

I am out of ideas and thought maybe someone here could help point me in the right direction, or better yet help me figure out what piece could fit it.

Thank you in advance!!

Mishtay

Reaction score
P1020338 - Copy - Copy.jpg Here is a quick picture of the piece needing the adapter

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
The end of that piece appears to be threaded, and that looks to me like the kind of threads that could screw into the end of a faucett in place of an aerator. Not saying you should try to do that, but what is at the other end of that piece? If the overall goal is to connect some kind of hose to the faucett, a work-around of one type or another should not be any big problem.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
It looks to me to be a white plastic end, then a knurled metal section with a hose- thread-to-kitchen-faucet-adapter screwed into the knurled metal section. I would try to unscrew the hose thread to kitchen thread adapter out of the knurled section. If it comes out you may be able to get a different hose thread to kitchen faucet adapter that will fit your sink and the fitting in the picture.

Hose thread to kitchen faucet adapter
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=hose...w=269&start=0&ndsp=22&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:84

http://www.lifeandhome.com/aerator-adapter-hose-end.html?gclid=CLSGx_uixLgCFRRk7AodPiYAHg

http://www.aboutsolidworks.com/knurl.htm Knurled metal section

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That adapter looks like it was to screw INTO a faucet spout. Ace Hardware should have an adapter to make it fit an outside thread, but you will have to ask them to show you the adapters because they are in a cabinet somewhere.

Asktom

Reaction score
It may be that the male threads unscrew from the end of the hose and will leave a standard female aerator thread.

Mishtay

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Yes this piece is threaded and it needs to connect directly to the faucet. I have unscrewed the caps on all my faucets and the problem is my faucets are threaded too, so I guess I need something that will have two ends that are "male".

Smooky, you have the right idea it just needs to be reversed on the ends.

I had also brought the hose itself with me to my local hardware store and spoke to the man on the floor in the plumbing section and he told me such pieces didn't exist... I can't see that being possible though lol

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You need a different "man" or a different hardware store. But, since we do not have the actual hose in our hands, it is difficult to tell you exactly what you need.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Sounds like gender confusion. What you have there already is male. Why would you need something that is male-male? When you unscrew the aerator from your faucet, is the threads on the faucet male or female? Post a pic of the end of the faucet with the aerator removed.

I think you may need a gender change from male to female. In the picture, the wide knurled part closest to the plastic looks to have a female thread with a male-male adapter screwed into it. If you unscrew it, that should change the gender to female.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I guess I need something that will have two ends that are "male".

It sounds like she has male threads at the end of her faucet, so a coupling would be needed...
A coupling is female-female hence my comment about her gender confusion. If that male-male adapter is removed, the resulting gender would be female. Why would you go from female to male with that male-male adapter and then adapt it back to female with a coupler?

Asktom

Reaction score
I think that there is already an adapter screwed into the hose. The chrome end on the hose is two pieces, not one. If you unscrew the adapter from the hose you will be back to something standard. That is my theory, anyway.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I think that there is already an adapter screwed into the hose. The chrome end on the hose is two pieces, not one. If you unscrew the adapter from the hose you will be back to something standard. That is my theory, anyway.
Yes, I see that now. The part with the larger knurled surface appears has the male adapter (with its narrow splined or serrated grip) screwed into the much-needed female threads.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That was my original thought when I saw the picture, but then, why didn't the manufacturer tell he to unscrew that part, or at least one of those "experts" try to unscrew it.

Mishtay

Reaction score
My mistake on the labeling of the piece being male. I realize it is a female adapted I will need.

The metal piece on the hose cannot be removed unless I cut it off. I am more then willing to do so, if I know exactly what will need to be replaced for it to actually work.

I guess from my understanding of your opinions it might be easiest to try to find the correct coupling that will fit both ends, and if I have no luck with that, then try cutting that piece off the hose and attaching something that would strictly fit my faucet?

I am not sure I can change my kitchen faucet itself... I am renting right now, and I don't think my landlords will allow such changes.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Have you tried to unscrew the threaded section from the knurled section yet? To do so you may need two pair of pliers.

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe the manufacturer and hardware stores can't help you.

I do this all the time. Here is one of a gazillion adapters available just about anywhere here, including grocery stores.41TBzPR6LuL._SX300_.jpg

Note, it can accomodate inside or outside threads on a faucet and likewise for what is being attached.

Too bad we are not closer together as I would have had you up and running by the second post of this thread!

Mishtay

Reaction score
It could be that I was not asking for the right pieces when I went to the store. I did buy a whack of adapters the last time I popped into Home Hardware. Anything I could find that had a double inside threading. Nothing I bought that day fit the end of this thing.

If the stupid packages could have been opened to see if it fit the end, I would have saved about $25 and a trip to return them!

Lol I refuse to believe I will not be able to use this carpet cleaner!! There HAS to be something!!

Mishtay

Reaction score
What type of coupling would that be called? This looks like exactly what I will need!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks