(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Cast Iron Flange - Gone!

Default Cast Iron Flange - Gone!

Last night I pull the 40 year-old toilet out of the powder room only to discover that the flange is gone. The pipe is cast-iron coming through a slab. It looks as if someone busted the flange off completely and tried to compensate with one of those horn-equipped wax rings and anchors straight into the slab. Now the orginial tile was thin (like vinyl) but I am replacing it with ceramic tile. Do I have any options that don't involve busting concrete?

David
    (Tired of busting concrete)

Quote Originally Posted by dlsteinberg
    Last night I pull the 40 year-old toilet out of the powder room only to discover that the flange is gone. The pipe is cast-iron coming through a slab. It looks as if someone busted the flange off completely and tried to compensate with one of those horn-equipped wax rings and anchors straight into the slab. Now the orginial tile was thin (like vinyl) but I am replacing it with ceramic tile. Do I have any options that don't involve busting concrete?

David
    (Tired of busting concrete)
    Yes, they make a PVC flange that will go into the CI pipe and then you will drill into the concrete to anchor it to the floor. Check the big box store L***s.

It has a rubber seal on the outside of the flange pipe that seals to the inside of the CI pipe.

Default flange

I still prefer to lead on a cast iron flange.

No pvc for me, but if you believe that will be easier go right ahead.