(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some kind of script error; IE8 sometimes locking up; bogus "Private Message" notices

Quote Originally Posted by leejosepho View Post
    Not at all. I understand about different browsers and I happen to use Firefox here on my morning machine. My situation (such as at the sites I manage) is just that I think more people should put more efforts into keeping things backward-compatible for as long as possible for folks that know little or nothing about browsers and/or that only have older ones available to them. Knowing virtually nothing about any of this, I got into WordPress a little under a year ago, then began discovering problems when I later switched to a newer theme that is "mobile-first". People told me it looked fine on their phones, but certain desktops were not showing bullets in the password box during login. I now understand at least a little about IE being a PITA for developers and coders, but leaving it in the dust is not an option for me.
    What a headache that must be. I think I have been desensitized to the fact that there are many out there who are forced into situations where they have to use multiple systems with software that is not always of their own choosing.

And don't even get me started on those smart phones... They should be called "self inflicted tracking and spyware devices"... Handy little things they are but I think giving up privacy is too steep of a price.

DIY scratch-pad engineer leejosepho's Avatar

Yup, "Nowhere to hide", so to speak, and even if you have nothing to hide! Without making any actual complaint to Terry here, my gripe is that Google and others will pay a site owner to let them track your keystrokes and clicks here so they can get paid for interrupting your session to whatever degree by targeting you with specific advertising they think you might actually want to see or that might be good for you or for someone else while you are just trying to read what is already here or to make a post or whatever...and then for me, IE's inability to handle all of that well sometimes also just makes me want to go away...

Must be some kind of communist plot, eh?!
    Last edited by leejosepho; 07-24-2013 at 08:31 AM.
    "Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events and small minds discuss people." --Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by leejosepho View Post
    I now understand at least a little about IE being a PITA for developers and coders, but leaving it in the dust is not an option for me.

You basically need different code rules that depend on the browser that is being used by the user.

Put Mobile Phones and Mini Pads in the mix and you have more problems.

Writing your code to detect the user OS/Browser, then displaying the proper output is the way to go. A user does not like to be told what browser they have to use, when on your site.

I think HTML6 may be the answer to some of the compatibly issues, If everyone follows the rules.

Have Fun.
    Last edited by DonL; 07-24-2013 at 08:33 AM.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

DIY scratch-pad engineer leejosepho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    You basically need different code rules that depend on the browser that is being used by the user.

Put Mobile Phones and Mini Pads in the mix and you have more problems.

Writing your code to detect the user OS/Browser, then displaying the proper output is the way to go. A user does not like to be told what browser they have to use, when on your site.

I think HTML6 may be the answer to some of the compatibly issues, If everyone follows the rules.

Have Fun.
    The "fun" for me is in trying to find someone who understands all the above and is both willing and able to actually make comprehensive use of it! One developer made a fine start at some of that, but then did not seem interested in continuing on and actually working out all the details. The next one had a couple of simple solutions to add that were easy to implement, but then he also seemed to lose interest when one of those brought on yet another problem. I have talked with another developer who has said he can make everything work reasonably well, but he has a minimum price and wants the entire amount up-front with no actual guarantee of result. "If everyone follows the rules" is definitely a factor in all of this, but I doubt there will ever come a day when everyone will agree upon which set of rules. So, and in spite of my gross lack of knowledge and experience related to coding websites, I have plans for digging in yet one more time this coming winter and will just have to live with whatever might come from that!
    "Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events and small minds discuss people." --Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    That is a nice clean website.

Nice work.

Thank you! My wife does all my web work for our business.. 6 years of showing other people how to build stuff and we're still going strong...