Mounting a Vertical Pressure Tank Horizontally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Xlr8tion

P.E. (Professional Engineer)
Reaction score
Have a new Flexcon Flexlite FL7 (16" x 34") that the factory says must be installed vertical; driller wants to place it horizontal. It will be in constant pressure as it is being used with a new CSV1A w/a 40/60.

http://www.flexconind.com/pdf/fl_features.pdf

This is to be buried and is replacing a waterlogged WX250UG.

Besides recommending other brands (this is what he uses-period) is there a detriment to mounting it horixontal?

If I mount it vertical I can place an irrigation contol box over the top to get access to the Schraeder vs running a poly hose if it is mounted horizontal.

Thanks....

Attachments

• IMG_1880.jpg
    IMG_1880.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 3,262
Last edited:

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
I have seen vertical tanks on their side and work...never done it myself. I will say that I would never, ever, ever, ever bury a pressure tank. I know a lot of folks do it, but to me, it's the dumbest thing in the world to do...it is something with a relatively short service life and in my opinion should always be accessible. I've refused jobs before where people wanted that done. If you have constant pressure, put in a small tank above ground under your fake rock I think I see.

Xlr8tion

Reaction score
Agreed!

I have seen vertical tanks on their side and work...never done it myself. I will say that I would never, ever, ever, ever bury a pressure tank. I know a lot of folks do it, but to me, it's the dumbest thing in the world to do...it is something with a relatively short service life and in my opinion should always be accessible. I've refused jobs before where people wanted that done. If you have constant pressure, put in a small tank above ground under your fake rock I think I see.

VA....

I agree 100 per cent with you on using a setup like the pside-kick (TM) that CSV designed but my driller would not even consider it-hence the monster 44gallon WX250UG dead in the ground. The counterintuitive concept of smaller tanks w/CSV's won't set in with some people. I had to get him to compromise from the FL12 Flexcon down to the FL7 or he was "going to walk." Everything is a compromise, as it should be-but I am going to run CSV'S "Cycle Sensor" to protect the pump from the eventual bladder failure and I think I will mount the FL7 vertical as I can check/add air on the tank monthly.

He also refused to use a leaded brass Merrill Tank Tee BAT1252 (even though it is an irrigation well 95+ per cent of the time) so I paid 29 cents more for the more brittle NoLead(0.07%) BATNL1252.

Next battle...Southwire says 12-3 UF-B is acceptable for submersibles. Even 12-2(but I won't push my luck).

Uh oh...started another topic in the thread!

Thanks!

G

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Fiberglass tanks that have a bladder attached at the top cannot be installed horizontally. The bladder covers over the water inlet hole like closing a valve.

Tanks like the Amtrol that have a diaphragm design attached in the middle can be mounted horizontally. The bladder can’t seal over the water inlet. I still prefer a horizontal installation whenever possible.

Xlr8tion

Reaction score
Got the Cycle Sensor...THANKS!

Fiberglass tanks that have a bladder attached at the top cannot be installed horizontally. The bladder covers over the water inlet hole like closing a valve.

Tanks like the Amtrol that have a diaphragm design attached in the middle can be mounted horizontally. The bladder can’t seal over the water inlet. I still prefer a horizontal installation whenever possible.

So what does this illustration indicate? The CAD2 design looks like the bladder is mounted a 1/4 of the way up from the bottom of the tank?

Thanks....G

Last edited:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would never bury a tank that wasn't designed to be buried. Build a fence or put up a small shed to hide it.

Xlr8tion

Reaction score
Driller chose the tank....

I would never bury a tank that wasn't designed to be buried. Build a fence or put up a small shed to hide it.

OK..that's not what I asked..LOL

Not an option due to covenants(fence, shed) in this Golf Course Community. Plus why build a shed/fence when I could of just got an AMTROL 200UG for less than a FL7? My driller only uses Flexcon Flexlite FL"x"'s now for burial. Driller's got me by the "boy's" So I have a FL7 going in the ground. Vertical or Horizontal. He want's it horizontal so he's going against Valveman's theory. Bear in mind this tank was chosen by the top rated GWA certified driller in my City.

BTW...why do you not have an electric Pull-a-pump(etc) instead of dragging that huge hoist rig around for a 4-6 inch pump?

Sorry for the sarcasm...I am stuck with my FL7 as you are with your truck.

Last edited:

Xlr8tion

Reaction score
Valveman....

Here's Amtrol's video...Looks like a WX-200/202. From 1:50 to 4:00 the polypropylene liner sits on the bottom of the tank with a butyl diaphragm that is sealed to the polypropylene liner with their "hoopgrooving" machine that bands the two together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhBifh7nCtg

Besides the method of attaching the liner to the diaphragm via Flexcon's bonding method- they look similar.

Whats the diff between a 200 and a 200UG vs a FL7?

Thanks....

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yep, it's a big truck but for the most part we have everything we need. Pumps, wire, pipe, control boxes, fittings, torches, well locators, downhole camera, welder, generator, tools.....rarely do we go back to the shop during the day. Customers love it when you can fix them up without leaving the job for materials or wait for a delivery.

I have an Up Z Dazy, but we use a lot of sch 80 and the hoist is infinitely faster than screwing with an Up Z Dazy. We also have some deep wells with steel pipe.

Xlr8tion

Reaction score
That's the way to do it!

Yep, it's a big truck but for the most part we have everything we need. Pumps, wire, pipe, control boxes, fittings, torches, well locators, downhole camera, welder, generator, tools.....rarely do we go back to the shop during the day. Customers love it when you can fix them up without leaving the job for materials or wait for a delivery.

I have an Up Z Dazy, but we use a lot of sch 80 and the hoist is infinitely faster than screwing with an Up Z Dazy. We also have some deep wells with steel pipe.

Wow....thats the way to "roll" with no "down time" by having everything you might need on the job.

That concept escaped me as in SC we have the "two guys in a pick up with three wheels"-uncontrolled chaos amongst most of the trades down here as to why I still can not figure out.

We need guys like you down here and please excuse my "needling" you about the Up Z Dazy.

You guys work hard and I am applying my "SC based perceptions" unfairly onto guys such as yourself who work hard and deserve the respect that these guys down here can't muster.

I am just working within the limitations placed upon me by the few "so called" experts here in the SW part of SC.

Keep up the great work and I will let you know how this wrong tank works with the right pump and CSV-lord willing I ever get it installed.

Regards...

Greg

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
So what does this illustration indicate? The CAD2 design looks like the bladder is mounted a 1/4 of the way up from the bottom of the tank?

Thanks....G

I looked at that. So I think that tank will be fine installed horizontally. I have a Well Mate WM6 buried in my yard at a 45 degree angle. I buried a few of these horizontally which is WHY I know they don't work that way. But at a 45 it has worked fine for 15 years now. And I went to the fiberglass tank because the UG Well-X-Trol I had at first rusted through from the outside in less than 3 years.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
It sounds to me like your pump installer isn't up to date! If the well can supply the flow I'd install a Pside-kick above ground and forget burying a tank. A WX-102 type (5 gallon) tank is all you need. Personally I don't like Flexcon tanks. Perhaps your installer needs to take my Continuing Education Class so that he can be up to date with new technology!

Xlr8tion

Reaction score
Flexcon Burial....

I looked at that. So I think that tank will be fine installed horizontally. I have a Well Mate WM6 buried in my yard at a 45 degree angle. I buried a few of these horizontally which is WHY I know they don't work that way. But at a 45 it has worked fine for 15 years now. And I went to the fiberglass tank because the UG Well-X-Trol I had at first rusted through from the outside in less than 3 years.

Thanks for the Info!

I noticed the rusted out WX 250UG was in at about a 30 degree angle. Whats the concept behind the burying at an angle? I will have to find a 45 degree 1" SCH 80 FPT x 1" pvc fitting to compensate for the side discharge, IF I mounted the tank level and horizontal I would not need it but I am sure there is a reason to why they are at an angle.

Thanks again Valveman! I know you are very busy; but you always find time to post!

Regards....G

Xlr8tion

Reaction score
Porky...

Tell me about it. Continuing education down here in SW SC is locating the lowest cost per case for Bud Lite...LOL

Xlr8tion

Reaction score
Thanks Valveman!

Regretting not buying that psidekick every day.

In my next home one will go!

Regards....G

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Funny...He wants "guys like you" right up until the time that he has to pay for it. Whatchya say Craig? Sell him a 1.5 HP Grundfos for $500 and then install it for about $300?

I've never even seen an UPZDAISY. They wouldn't work for about 80% of the jobs here.

Wow....thats the way to "roll" with no "down time" by having everything you might need on the job.

That concept escaped me as in SC we have the "two guys in a pick up with three wheels"-uncontrolled chaos amongst most of the trades down here as to why I still can not figure out.

We need guys like you down here and please excuse my "needling" you about the Up Z Dazy.

You guys work hard and I am applying my "SC based perceptions" unfairly onto guys such as yourself who work hard and deserve the respect that these guys down here can't muster.

I am just working within the limitations placed upon me by the few "so called" experts here in the SW part of SC.

Keep up the great work and I will let you know how this wrong tank works with the right pump and CSV-lord willing I ever get it installed.

Regards...

Greg

Xlr8tion

Reaction score
Hey TW...

You got a "thang" for me?

You keep following me from "Pumps and Tanks" to here(you locked my thread, and threw in an insult, over there as an admin at P and T) and keep trolling me.

I was being "self-effacing" towards Craig-something you know nothing of.

Knock it off as you are wasting your "valuable" time.

Craig's alright-you are straight out obnoxious and representative of the BS clients take verbally down here.

I'll either drop 4K for a Pulapump to take idiots like YOU (no wells getting drilled) out of the loop here; or get a kwik clamp and a pipe dog and do it with my buddies backhoe.

Connecting three wires and connect pipe, repeat every 20' or reel it out if it's not PVC. Not even a licensed trade in SC as pump repair.

Guys work a week at 20 an hour to make what you think you are entitled to in three hours-you've lost touch with reality.

Don't let it go to your head.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks