(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: New to water softeners, can anyone tell me about this unit? Aquatec? (pics)

Default New to water softeners, can anyone tell me about this unit? Aquatec? (pics)

I just bought a house, and it was a foreclosure/flip so I have no contact with the previous owner. We have well water and city sewer. There is a water softener in the basement, but I know nothing about it. Can somebody give me a crash course and tell me what I need to do?

Here's the whole system. Aquatec is apparently out of business, because their website ( www.aquatecsolutions.com ) domain is for sale.

This is inside the big black canister. I need to (clean this out and ) put salt or something in here, right? How much?

This is the timer unit (I think). The low battery light is on, I can take care of that, but then what?

Thanks for indulging my ignorance in advance!

The valve that they used is a Fleck 6700 older style or first gen digital control.
    I would put the link for the control but fleck has removed the old and replaced it with the new one so drop a pm and I can send the
    manual for your 6700 ,
    Next, get a water test for the hardness, Iron and ph.
    The size of the media tank looks to be a 10x47 but use a tape, across and floor to top of media tank or base of the 6700.

Members of the forum are here to help.

PM sent. Thanks a million!

Also, you mentioned measuring the tank, I did some research on what to do with this thing, but I didn't read anything about measuring the tank - do I need to measure the tank for a specific purpose? How do I know what amount of salt to add? I'm going to vacuum it out with my shop vac and wipe it all out and get some salt. Is there a favorite brand? I notice it's all roughly the same price.

I'm also going to get a water test.

Measuring the tank will give an amount most likely in the tank so a capacity of the resin can be figured.
    If the tank is a 10x47 then most likely it has 1 cubic foot of resin.
    With 1 cubic foot the max capacity would be 32,000 grains at 15lbs of salt.
    Each has a fav, mine is the extra course salt, easy to break if it bridges and has many of different benefits for around the house use, and then there is weight for my van and goes under rear wheels easy if I need traction on winter ice.

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Agree on the extra course solar salt. Salt will vary by region, so if your local extra coarse salt is really dirty, you may want to use the pellets.

That is an old 6700, a really neat looking electronic 5600. It is a fairly good system.

Clean your brine tank please. little water and bleach will do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ditttohead View Post
    Agree on the extra course solar salt. Salt will vary by region, so if your local extra coarse salt is really dirty, you may want to use the pellets.

That is an old 6700, a really neat looking electronic 5600. It is a fairly good system.

Clean your brine tank please. little water and bleach will do just fine.
    Excellent, thanks! I will be cleaning the tank tomorrow evening ( we have possession of the house, but don't move in until July 27).