Drainage Vent Within Attic

Users who are viewing this thread

thrashmail2002

Reaction score
Hi,
We are looking for new houses in CT and once we narrowed in on a house we inspected it and the inspector noted that the drainage vent pipe is terminating in the attic. Per the inspector this will cause sewer odor to collect in the attic and most importantly he mentioned that this can cause accumulation of Methane gas which can be a fire hazard. The inspector indicated that this need to terminate above the roof and atleast 6 inches above the roof.

Here are the questions I have:
1. The owner insist that there is a CO (Certificate of Occupancy) for this newly updated place and having a CO means that it is in line with the state code for plumbing. Is this a true statement and does the CT plumbing code allow for the vent pipe to be terminated in the attic?
2. I went into the attic but did not get a sewer odor. I am wondering why so, especially if this is a sewer vent pipe.
3. Is it true that Methane can build-up causing a fire hazard if the vent pipe is not terminated above the roof?

Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
The inspector evidently missed the vent not being extended through the roof when he did the inspection. The vent must be extended through the roof, and in CT it must be at least 12" through the roof because of snow cover.

John

thrashmail2002

Reaction score
Hi John,
Thank you for that reply. I guessed that would be the case. Appreciate your reply.
Could you point me to a website/ document that cites this code for CT. I found some for ND and other states but could not pin point the section/ code for CT.
Thanks again.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
CT has a state code but that is considered the minimum code. Each town can have some of the owen add ons. I would check with the local building dept.

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks