How do I replace this washing machine outlet box?

Users who are viewing this thread

williaty

Reaction score
We just bought our first house and we're finding out there's a lot we don't know! One thing we didn't notice pre-move in was that the washing machine outlet box is badly rusted and one of the water outlet hoses is stuck to it with corrosion. I'd like to just replace it, but I'm not sure how to go about getting it apart. Since I don't know what's important and what's not, I'm going to give you guys a list of details so you can tell me what I need to pay attention to.

• I can see the water pipes plus drain pipe from the unfinished basement underneath, but I can't see them as soon as they pass up through the floor and into the wall
  • The pipes I can see are small diameter white PVC
  • There is no shutoff of any kind between the well pressure tank and the washing machine outlet box on either the hot or cold runs
  • The supply hose is corroded to the spigot tightly enough that I couldn't use a wrench to remove it without exerting a level of force I thought might break something. Since I didn't want water spraying everywhere, I just left it alone
  • The spigots look like they're locked pretty solid to the fitting they're on with corrosion, so I don't know how to remove them from the box without breaking the plumbing below
  • The external dimensions of the box are about 14x9"
  • The wall is a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" thick wood paneling tongue-and-grooved into the panels around it. Removing the panel to fix anything in the wall would be difficult, to say the least.

9303868200_bfc400b28e_b.jpg

9303866646_8d49a178b2_b.jpg

So, I need you guys to help me figure out 1) what I need to buy to make this repair and 2) what steps I need to go through to get this taken apart with the least risk of breaking something inside the wall.

Thanks everyone!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
That looks like T 111 siding on the wall. Remove the plastic frame then pull the sheet of siding loose. It should come off once the nails are pulled. That will expose the pipes and give you access. I'd certainly replace everything I can see with new. The supply hoses should have the stainless steel mesh covering, and there are far better valves available as well..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks