Plumbing Code Question/Quiz

Users who are viewing this thread

Chetwynd

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm took a quiz for a plumbing course I'm taking, and I swear I cannot find the answers to these questions. The quiz is based on the 2003 IRC.

1.What is the minimum size for a dishwasher discharge hose?

2. Gas piping test...1.5 or 2 X the nominal pressure...or something. I know it's 10psi for 15 mins, but that wasn't an option.

3. Is a clothes washer standpipe considered an air gap or air break?

4. What is the minimum depth of a hot water heater pan? What about the min size of the drain line from the pan?

5. What is the minimum depth of a shower pan?

6. Does the code state where the main water shutoff has to be? Within 5 feet of the house, etc?

7. What is the max slope of a combination waste/vent system...expressed in %. Like, is it 1%, 2%, or 3%?

Any help on these would be much appreciated!

Chetwynd

In the Trades
Reaction score
code...

IPC I believe, because the answers weren't in the UPC book, leading me to believe IPC.

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
First and foremost, I do not practice, nor am I trained in the "I" codes.

Secondly, if any jurisdiction where I am licensed adopted the "I" codes for plumbing, I'd promptly quit my job and take all of my money and buy stock in Studor.

//rant off

A majority of the questions you state are meant to be 'extrapolated' from your knowledge of codes. They may not be fully addressed in a straight-forward fashion in your code book, but your knowledge should allow you to find the right answer.

A listing off the top of my head using MN Plbg Code: http://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/bin/getpub.php?pubtype=RULE_CHAP&year=current&chapter=4715

1.What is the minimum size for a dishwasher discharge hose? undiminished in size, but not less than 3/4"

2. Gas piping test...1.5 or 2 X the nominal pressure...or something. I know it's 10psi for 15 mins, but that wasn't an option. not addressed per Plbg Code, but 25#/15 min here, 1 1/2 times for IFGC

3. Is a clothes washer standpipe considered an air gap or air break? air break, an air gap requires an 'unobstructed vertical distance through the free atmosphere'. pushing a discharge hose into a trap riser is not an air gap.

4. What is the minimum depth of a hot water heater pan? What about the min size of the drain line from the pan? minimum depth 4", drain line equal to supply line to heater.

5. What is the minimum depth of a shower pan? minimum 3", but as much as possible

6. Does the code state where the main water shutoff has to be? Within 5 feet of the house, etc? at a point where service enters building and immediately after water meter

7. What is the max slope of a combination waste/vent system...expressed in %. Like, is it 1%, 2%, or 3%? 2%, or 1/4" per foot

Last edited:

kellyb

Reaction score
I gather you REALLY dont like AAVs? My plumber wants to put one in my basement (thats whats already there) I am not so sure.

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
An AAV is simply a short cut, or labor saver.

It cannot, in any way, outperform a correctly installed/sized vent.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quiz

I wrote this previously but it apparently did not get posted.

1.What is the minimum size for a dishwasher discharge hose?

2. Gas piping test...1.5 or 2 X the nominal pressure...or something. I know it's 10psi for 15 mins, but that wasn't an option.

3. Is a clothes washer standpipe considered an air gap or air break?

4. What is the minimum depth of a hot water heater pan? What about the min size of the drain line from the pan?

5. What is the minimum depth of a shower pan?

6. Does the code state where the main water shutoff has to be? Within 5 feet of the house, etc?

7. What is the max slope of a combination waste/vent system...expressed in %. Like, is it 1%, 2%, or 3%?

1. It depends on where you measure it. When it goes through an air gap it is reduced to 3/8" or 1/2".

2. If they do not use the 10 psi/30 minute rule then they must not worry about leaks too much.

3. AIr break because it is inserted into the stand pipe.

4. Commercail pans are 2" deep with a 1" mip x 3/4 slip connection.

5. None. ADA roll in shower have a flat floor and might have a slight dam at the entry.

6. At the house, but where it is in relation to the meter depends on whether the meter is at the curb or in the basement.

7. Combination W&V systems are a differerent kind of beast and the maximum slope is 2%.

As for Studor/air admittance valves, when everything is working the way it should they are almost equivalent to a conventional vent. When things go awry, then they can cause problems that you would not have if you did not have the AAV.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks