out with the old, in with the new????

Users who are viewing this thread

genie

Reaction score
I have 5 American Standard Ventaway toilets. I am doing 2 bathroom remodels and don't know whether to spend the money to buy new seats-they are discolored and cracked on the bumpers. They work fine but the plumber tells me by the time I replace the seats and have one repair I will probably could have bought a new toilet. They flush great. My kids could probably use an entire roll of paper and not clog. What to do??

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
With the cost of special seats and repair parts, I think I would replace the first two toilets while your doing those bathrooms over.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
As far as the Ventaway goes, Out with the old and in with the new. I'm not sure they even worked all that well (venting away) even when new.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilets

They must be the low profile Roma model. If so the seats will cost about $170.00/ but since the toilets cannot overflow, I would not replace them, especially if you have children or they on the second floor of the house. I doubt that more than a dozen people with Vent-a-Way toilets even knew how to make the feature function. Almot everyone I have ever talked to, who had one, thought the venting function was automatic every time you flushed the toilet, which it is not.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
vent away

The first thing you do is lift the trip lever which starts a flow of water to the back side of the toilets trap which in turn causes a vacuum at the bowl, which vents that area.

I'd ask HJ to help with the answer, because he has a good way with words.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks