Is it a "vault" that I am looking for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Cable installers do it all of the time. They get the utilities marked and just do it.

I guess I do not know what the real problem is. Start at the GFCI and work out.

May be time to get a Real Pro for the job.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Yes. I'd like to work in a gfi. Actually three: one for the pool lights and a pair for the 240v pool pump.

In a 20 space panel that already has 20 tandem breakers.

So if you could perhaps take in all the information priovided on the problem, I'd thank you.

Reaction score
If you are not going to do it right, why not just splice it with regular waterproof splicing sleeves and stick it all back in the ground? I would definitely put it on a gfci, even if it means cutting it into the circuit on the outside of the panel. At least then if someone puts a shovel into it there is something more than just the circuit breaker.

Your idea of how to shove it all back into the ground solves nothing, btw. I'd be as well served by just dropping a small hand hole over it.

But I still like the idea of making space for GFIs to protect everything.

Reaction score
They make "earth drills" to bore UNDER concrete, so you might only have to break concrete at one end of the conduit, since the other end appears to end in dirt.

We are talking 40' with ease, and gawd knows what sort of obstacles on the way.

The client parks his MASSIVE motorhome just next to the panel.

If I had to make a new home run conduit for this service, I'd need to at least cut the concrete perpendicular to the panel, under the massive motorhome, then up eight feet of a retaining wall. THEN! THEN! I can turn to the left back toward the broken conduit. 40 or 5o feet.

Then I need to get a guy in to cut the concrete and pour new concrete. I do know a guy, but he is not going to do it as a favor to anyone. Possibly because he is good.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Then I need to get a guy in to cut the concrete and pour new concrete. I do know a guy, but he is not going to do it as a favor to anyone. Possibly because he is good.

Cut a 3" slot in the concrete, and you don't have to be "good" to pour the concrete back.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
My advice, if it is not done to meet current codes and would pass an inspection, pass on the job. I know you're looking for easier, less expensive options, and that's good. Sometimes, there aren't any. Not saying that there aren't any here. Last thing you want is someone to end up injured, should it not work out properly (which should not happen if it is done to meet current codes and passes a proper inspection, baring extraordinary actions).

Sometimes, you just have to bite the bullet.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Yes. I'd like to work in a gfi. Actually three: one for the pool lights and a pair for the 240v pool pump.

In a 20 space panel that already has 20 tandem breakers.

So if you could perhaps take in all the information priovided on the problem, I'd thank you.

You are welcome.

If you do not have enough breaker space then maybe the service is overloaded.

I can not even think of why the pump and lights was not put on a GFCI in the first place.

Just run a extension cord with a GFCI and be done with it. Plug it into the RV, save wire.

Just kidding of course.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well, it certainly looks like a dog's breakfast.

In point of fact, there are four half width breakers dedicated to this area. One of the 120v circuits is going to be deleted.

But I should be able to rearrange things in the panel such that I can get in a two pole breaker to serve a subpanel that I could set in the unfinished garage that the panel is fitted to. I could set GFI breakers in that and feed the problem thru that.

And still find a way to fit a box where the old box rotted out, and set a hand hold over it to keep the soil and water away from it.

It is doable.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks