Help: Shower faucet and valve

Users who are viewing this thread

stautxie

Reaction score
Dear all,

I am stuck while remodeling my bathroom and want to seek your advice.

1. I want to change shower valve handle and try to avoid soldering. I have already removed the original handle and plate but stuck at the cap. I think I can screw in a replacement handle, e.g. Pfister's universal handle, if I can get rid of the original cap. I cannot unscrew it with a plumber's wrench. Any suggestions?

photo.jpg

2. I am trying to replace the shower head as well. After stripping the old head, I am stuck with the spherical end that does not come off at all. Any thoughts on it?

photo (1).jpg

Thank you all for your attention.

Asktom

Reaction score
The rule of thumb is that if you open the wall you change the valve. There is no such thing as a universal handle, yours looks like it takes a Delta. Try any handle you get before you close the wall. You will need to use a new shower arm if you are changing the head.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It would be regrettable if the valve isn't replaced at this time.
New ones are pressure balanced, and it's getting harder and harder to find parts for the old stuff.

You will need a new shower arm without the round knob end. It should have 1/2" pipe threads on both ends.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You have a Delta valve, and since it is the very first 'generation' there is NOT handle except the lever one with a ball on the end which will work with it. To replace the shower head you have to also replace the shower arm. There should be three small tubes joining the front and back parts of the valve, and if you are not careful you will twist them off and then you will HAVE to replace the faucet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks