Questions about sub panel and 30A circuit

Users who are viewing this thread

mcsincnj

Reaction score
My post has three questions. This project is for a sub panel located in my workshop. I have been working on this for about 6 months and now see a couple of issues I didn't identify in the beginning. It is a time consuming project that I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel!:eek:
I have attached the pictures for ease of interpretation.
Q: I have a main lug configuration, which according to the diagram below says it should be in the same building; can I use this sub-panel in an out building or am I wrong right out of the box?
Lug Box.jpg Main2Main-lug.jpg

Q: I also saw that MY bonding rod IS connected, and should be disconnected for this application? I have a grounding rod,but the diagram I saw shows not to apply this in this configuration? Will it hurt to add the rod or is it redundant.

My wire to feed from my main breaker box is type TC-ER THHN/THUN CDRS DIRECT BURY (#6-3C THHN-PVC Tray Cable with Ground) on a 60A breaker.
Wire.jpg
Breaker in House --->Breakers.jpg

Q: The second part of my post is that I have a sander that is labeled 110v/28a.
Sander.jpg
I want to add a circuit dedicated to this machine. The machine is 22 years old and I don't know where the wiring diagram could be, so I don't want to convert it to 220v.
So, I am looking for a 30a outlet & I have not looked for the 30a single pole breaker (if there is such), but all I see is for RV applications.
I assume that I will need to replace the plug on the machine to match the outlet, but am not sure what to use.

I need some additional help with this.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
You do need a main disconnect, and a ground rod, and to isolate the neutral bar, and to add a ground bar, at this remote sub-panel.
I would replace that panel with a typical 100A main-breaker panel. Much easier and you will not lose the two breaker spaces by using a backfeed breaker. If you do backfeed the breaker must have a retention device installed.

If I were you I'd try to re-wire the machine for 240V, NO question. If you insist on 120V then you need 10/2 cable and a 5-30R receptacle and 5-30P plug for the cord. That is assuming the cord is already the correct size.
If it is already wired for 120V why would you need to change it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
10/2 cable and a 6-30R receptacle and 6-30P plug for the cord.
That is what I did for a 40-year-old welder calling for a 30A fuse back in the day when 12-2 was considered heavy enough to handle that, then I found a short pigtail cord with two regular 120V outlets on the end so I can plug regular stuff in at that 6-30R outlet while the welder is disconnected. But unless your sander has additional 120V circuitry (a light or whatever) that might complicate things -- a double-pole 30A switch should not be too difficult to find -- I would find a motor shop where someone can easily tell you how to properly wire and run that motor with 240V.

Last edited:

mcsincnj

Reaction score
You do need a main disconnect, and a ground rod, and to isolate the neutral bar, and to add a ground bar, at this remote sub-panel.
I would replace that panel with a typical 100A main-breaker panel. Much easier and you will not lose the two breaker spaces by using a backfeed breaker. If you do backfeed the breaker must have a retention device installed.

If I were you I'd try to re-wire the machine for 240V, NO question. If you insist on 120V then you need 10/2 cable and a 5-30R receptacle and 5-30P plug for the cord. That is assuming the cord is already the correct size.
If it is already wired for 120V why would you need to change it?

Thanks for the diagram... One picture is worth 1000 words. The breaker box in the house currently has the neutral and grounding wires to the same lugs, not separate as shown, is that a problem? I have looked all over and don't see a grounding rod outside or inside. It may be in the wall?

So you are saying that I should have 60A (breaker) feed from the house box to a 60A disconnect (main), ground isolated to gr. rod, etc.

As for the sander, I will open the wiring plate and hopefully, there is a lug labeled 240v with nothing attached before deciding what I direction to take. BTW, what book can I find your diagram?

Thanks for the assistance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks