(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1/4 HardieBacker Board for Walls?

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

MAd King your approaches are within industry guidelines and allowed by building codes. It's just your approach is the bare minimum approach. I can not answer your question with a simple one liner since there are so many variables. If your going to piece meal a load of scrap board you are incorporating a lot more area to absorb water.

I would not go this route but rather the topical membrane approach.

I wish you well and hope your shower is a success. I will not personally say "Great" sounds like a winner since it is not how we build our showers. I would remind you that you have already saved the money a container of of Ardex 8+9 or a bucket of Hydro Ban costs. That money could make your bathroom's shower waterproof - not water resistant. If you want to follow the base grade standard this of course is your choice but if you go that route I would be using full sheets of backer board. So your back to the start.

Good Luck. JW

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

John,

I was able to return the 1/4 hardibacker and got the 1/2 now. I didn't know that HomeDepot accepts returns after 90 days, but they kept the taxes, which I don't mind.
    For the waterproofing, can I also use Redguard from HomeDepot? I would have to order Ardex online, because I can't find it locally.

Thank you

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MAD King View Post
    John,

I was able to return the 1/4 hardibacker and got the 1/2 now. I didn't know that HomeDepot accepts returns after 90 days, but they kept the taxes, which I don't mind.
    For the waterproofing, can I also use Redguard from HomeDepot? I would have to order Ardex online, because I can't find it locally.

Thank you
    This sounds like a better plan.

When you install the backer board tape the seams and skim coat (flat trowel) the entire board. My testing has shown to me that the liquid membranes hold better over the thin-set than they do the backer board. Give the thin-set a few days to set up or use a self curing rapid setting thin-set and wait a day.

JW

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

That is a good idea with the thinset. I also read that the Redgard can be thined upt to 50% for the first coat and then the second coat regular.
    They also say that with Redgard a non-modified thinset is recommended.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MAD King View Post
    That is a good idea with the thinset. I also read that the Redgard can be thined upt to 50% for the first coat and then the second coat regular.
    They also say that with Redgard a non-modified thinset is recommended.
    Not sure I would do this. I have read that the incorporation of water to liquid membranes adds tiny air pockets and weakens the product. I'm doing a series of shear tests with uncoupling membranes and sheet membranes this week and later will be putting the liquids head to head. I'm going to see what affect the addition of water has on these when I do. I will at the same time test the varies backer boards at the same time for shear strength. If you can hold on a few weeks I'll have an answer for you. To be safe clean the backer board to remove any bond breakers and then burn in a good scratch coat of thin set.

JW

OK. I will go with the thinset. THank you so much for your support.