AC Went out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Auger1981

Reaction score
There are actually 7 sizes. Each is seperated by their model number.

If my calculations are correct, each model number actually shows the BTU. For instance my model is a PH12NA048-8 Since they seperated them on the sheet by the last 2 digits, mine being a 48, if that corresponds to a BTU number, that would place mine at 48000 or 4 ton.

The last model is a 60, again if we follow that logic, that would be a 5 ton unit. (Models: 18 - 1.5ton, 24 - 2 ton, 30 - 2.5 ton, 36 - 3 ton).

And as I type this I am looking thru the sheet... for once in my life... I AM CORRECT !!! hurray !!! It is a 4 ton. TC=48,000

Thanks DonL your the best !!!

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
There are actually 7 sizes. Each is seperated by their model number.

If my calculations are correct, each model number actually shows the BTU. For instance my model is a PH12NA048-8 Since they seperated them on the sheet by the last 2 digits, mine being a 48, if that corresponds to a BTU number, that would place mine at 48000 or 4 ton.

The last model is a 60, again if we follow that logic, that would be a 5 ton unit. (Models: 18 - 1.5ton, 24 - 2 ton, 30 - 2.5 ton, 36 - 3 ton).

And as I type this I am looking thru the sheet... for once in my life... I AM CORRECT !!! hurray !!! It is a 4 ton. TC=48,000

Thanks DonL your the best !!!

Yes. You do have it correct.

There are many variables in the formula, but it is in the ballpark.

Have fun.

Auger1981

Reaction score
As I said, I would put a final response, so here it goes.

First & foremost I wanted to Thank All who responded. It took a number of calls to get someone here to look at this cooling issue. It is because of this that I wanted to put a final post. The first company that came out charged me 80 dollars just to have them tell me the exact thing I told them I wanted done... replace the AC coils. They then tried to get me to bite on getting a new heat pump as well as the AC coils inside. When I finally convinced him that I didn't have the money for that, and only wanted the coils changed he came back in with an estimate of $2210.00 I asked him to explain the bill, and how they got to that figure. He tells me the job is a 4 hour job & they charge 85 dollars an hour for labor. My reply was "Ok, that about 360 for labor, & 375 for the coils... wheres the other 1475 going to ? He tried to tell me I was looking at prices for a 2 ton AC coil. I then asked him if he wanted me to show him the costs online. It was at this point, I just told him to leave.

The next person that I called, I explained that I needed a AC coil changed. Same thing I told the first company. He gave me a quote over the phone... 375 for the coils & 300 for labor. I had him out yesterday. I even paid him a little more for the professional work they did.

Moral of the story... ALWAYS call around if you have to have work done on your system that you are not allowed to do, or can't do. The prices really really vary from company to company.

So I now have a new heating & AC guy if I can't fix it. That is if he can get to me now, I have given out at least 15-20 of his cards today alone. When a tech does me right, I go out of my way to ensure he keeps working. Word of mouth is a powerful thing.

It is a comfy 72 degrees in the house today, & I couldn't be happier !!!

Again, thank you, thank you, thank you !!!

Last edited:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
That is great.

Sometimes you just have to pay the man.

72 is to cold for me.

Enjoy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks