(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AC Went out.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

That vent may not be big enough for the a/c unit...there shouldn't be much pressure drop across the coil. That could be because it cannot pull the air in properly through the vent/duct, or whatever, or the fins of the coil are bent, or they're full of dirt or other deposits, OR, the fan speed is setup wrong. There's a certain amount of CFM that should be going over the coils based on the unit you have and the tonnage and the area of the outlet duct/vent or whatever. If the fan is set for higher CFM or the airway is restricted more than it should be, the pressure will move the water rather than letting it just flow down by gravity to the drain pan. There should be minimal pressure drop across the coil...when it is excessive, it can suck/blow water places you don't want it to go.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

One more question.

I've checked the pan, and all seems to be leveled properly. Water flows to the drain on the side, ONLY if the air is off. The pan is rather dirty as you can imagine, and I plan on trying to clean it out the best I can. It is a very sung fit to the coils.

What I'd like to try is to do a serious cleaning of the coils, just short of hosing them down. I'm looking to pull the fan and try to blow out the coils in the opposite direction of normal air flow. I know all the electrical components below, and am rather confident I can take the necessary precations to protect them from any water. Here is the question.

What would you recommend to use to try & clean the coils. I need something that will really really cut thru grease & dirt. (Also hair as I think the previous owner had dogs). I'm quite temped to use draino, but I know better... haha. What is the strongest thing any of you can think of that will cut the jumk, and not eat the coils ???

Thanks
    Last edited by Auger1981; 07-15-2013 at 01:22 PM. Reason: typos as usual

Forget the cleaning, just isn't going to happen. I have used cans of coiler cleaner, and a few other things, but air just isn't getting thru properly. Either way at this point, the cooling coils will have to be removed. After all this, I can take a NEW can of compressed air w/ straw, point it at any section of the coild from inside, and barely feel any air coming out the other side.

So, again I ask.... can anyone tell what the rating is (IE 2 ton, 3 ton, etc), from the data sheet I linked ? Here it is again-

http://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc...ss-ph12-05.pdf

The unit is a Payne Model PH12NA048-B ...

Thanks again in advance !!

4 ton maybe ???

Quote Originally Posted by Auger1981 View Post
    Forget the cleaning, just isn't going to happen. I have used cans of coiler cleaner, and a few other things, but air just isn't getting thru properly. Either way at this point, the cooling coils will have to be removed. After all this, I can take a NEW can of compressed air w/ straw, point it at any section of the coild from inside, and barely feel any air coming out the other side.

So, again I ask.... can anyone tell what the rating is (IE 2 ton, 3 ton, etc), from the data sheet I linked ? Here it is again-

http://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc...ss-ph12-05.pdf

The unit is a Payne Model PH12NA048-B ...

Thanks again in advance !!

It looks like that PDF has 4 different sizes.

Take the TC (Total Capacity) from the spec sheet and divide it by 12,000 to get the equivalent in tons.

Good Luck.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

There are actually 7 sizes. Each is seperated by their model number.

If my calculations are correct, each model number actually shows the BTU. For instance my model is a PH12NA048-8 Since they seperated them on the sheet by the last 2 digits, mine being a 48, if that corresponds to a BTU number, that would place mine at 48000 or 4 ton.

The last model is a 60, again if we follow that logic, that would be a 5 ton unit. (Models: 18 - 1.5ton, 24 - 2 ton, 30 - 2.5 ton, 36 - 3 ton).

And as I type this I am looking thru the sheet... for once in my life... I AM CORRECT !!! hurray !!! It is a 4 ton. TC=48,000

Thanks DonL your the best !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Auger1981 View Post
    There are actually 7 sizes. Each is seperated by their model number.

If my calculations are correct, each model number actually shows the BTU. For instance my model is a PH12NA048-8 Since they seperated them on the sheet by the last 2 digits, mine being a 48, if that corresponds to a BTU number, that would place mine at 48000 or 4 ton.

The last model is a 60, again if we follow that logic, that would be a 5 ton unit. (Models: 18 - 1.5ton, 24 - 2 ton, 30 - 2.5 ton, 36 - 3 ton).

And as I type this I am looking thru the sheet... for once in my life... I AM CORRECT !!! hurray !!! It is a 4 ton. TC=48,000

Thanks DonL your the best !!!

Yes. You do have it correct.

There are many variables in the formula, but it is in the ballpark.

Have fun.

As I said, I would put a final response, so here it goes.

First & foremost I wanted to Thank All who responded. It took a number of calls to get someone here to look at this cooling issue. It is because of this that I wanted to put a final post. The first company that came out charged me 80 dollars just to have them tell me the exact thing I told them I wanted done... replace the AC coils. They then tried to get me to bite on getting a new heat pump as well as the AC coils inside. When I finally convinced him that I didn't have the money for that, and only wanted the coils changed he came back in with an estimate of $2210.00 I asked him to explain the bill, and how they got to that figure. He tells me the job is a 4 hour job & they charge 85 dollars an hour for labor. My reply was "Ok, that about 360 for labor, & 375 for the coils... wheres the other 1475 going to ? He tried to tell me I was looking at prices for a 2 ton AC coil. I then asked him if he wanted me to show him the costs online. It was at this point, I just told him to leave.

The next person that I called, I explained that I needed a AC coil changed. Same thing I told the first company. He gave me a quote over the phone... 375 for the coils & 300 for labor. I had him out yesterday. I even paid him a little more for the professional work they did.

Moral of the story... ALWAYS call around if you have to have work done on your system that you are not allowed to do, or can't do. The prices really really vary from company to company.

So I now have a new heating & AC guy if I can't fix it. That is if he can get to me now, I have given out at least 15-20 of his cards today alone. When a tech does me right, I go out of my way to ensure he keeps working. Word of mouth is a powerful thing.

It is a comfy 72 degrees in the house today, & I couldn't be happier !!!

Again, thank you, thank you, thank you !!!
    Last edited by Auger1981; 07-19-2013 at 09:47 AM. Reason: to many typos as usual...

That is great.

Sometimes you just have to pay the man.

72 is to cold for me.

Enjoy.