joining ABS pipes partially under water

Users who are viewing this thread

darren_t_johnson

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to be joining some ABS drain/waste pipes together under my basement floor, and the bottom 1/4 of the pipe will be in water. The water table is still a little high from some recent rains. How sensitive is the ABS cement to water? I'm going to try to lift the ends up, apply the glue and join the ends... but how long should I hold it out of the water? I know it sets quite quickly... but if I put it back under water too soon, will it weaken the join?

Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've done that on ground works in Winter before where you couldn't get rid of the water. It held a test.
You might use your shop wet-vac on it.

darren_t_johnson

Reaction score
Thanks Terry.
I'll be waiting for the glue to be well set before dropping it in the whole. But its good to hear that I wont have to worry about it. Its my main waste line, so I want to leave it disconnect for too long.
I'll be using the shop-vac as much as possible, but I can't dump it out unless I carry it up the stairs and outside... Hopefully 2 shop vacs and 7 pails will hold enough water to keep me ahead of the water.

Thanks again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks