Help with whole faucet swiveling instead of just the top

Users who are viewing this thread

Al Wet

Reaction score
We've tried grabbing the bottom of the faucet from below but so far we haven't been able to tighten it enough to keep the whole thing from swiveling. I put a video on Youtube showing what it's doing. It's here: http://youtu.be/HWURi7hnZck
There also is a very small bit of water coming out at the bottom of the base when I wiggle it.
The bottom part of the faucet is stuck or frozen. Any advice on what a more experienced person would do to solve this would be much appreciated . For example... the right tool to grab hold of that nut underneath or how to get the top part unfrozen and grab hold of it to tighten. Thanks

Attachments

• faucet.jpg
    faucet.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 300
  • faucet under.jpg
    faucet under.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 312

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A basin wrench, or a hammer and chisel to "drift" the nut tight. BUT, you may have a situation where the spout is frozen to the valve body and when you tighten the nut the spout will NOT rotate. When that happens the best solution is usually to contact the manufacturer and have him send a new faucet if it has a "lifetime" warranty.

Al Wet

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. There's so little clearance by that nut the basin wrench doesn't get a firm grip. The top part of the faucet doesn't seem to have any brand marking that we can see. Any secret places where it might show it? In terms of the swiveling it seems to be pretty much frozen. Could it be pried at all and lubrication sprayed?

basin-wrench-ridgid.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Could it be pried at all and lubrication sprayed?

You can try, but my experience has been that it either does not work or it happens again fairly quickly.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I would start with a complete removal and disassembly to determine where and why it is binding. My guess is that harsh cleansers may have caused corrosion inside the unit. Once you determine the cause, then you can decide whether or not it can be mitigated or replaced.

When reinstalling, consider adding O-rings or neoprene washers for friction and a larger metal washer on the underside.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IT is a KWC faucet, which has a 5 year guarantee, but you either have to contact the factory, or the supply house which furnished it. They may also want an invoice showing when it was purchased or installed.If it can be repaired, you basically have to take the entire faucet apart to free up the rotating spout.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks