Sink leak through porcelain plug

Users who are viewing this thread

Paula444

Reaction score
Just installed a porcelain under mount bathroom sink. When testing for leaks I can see water seeping through what seems to be a little 1/2 in. circle of what looks like porcelain plug about an inch above the bottom of sink. It comes from the overflow drainage not the sink body itself. I'm not sure how the water is even getting to this area. Is the bottom seal to plumbing leaking then backing up the overflow? No water went through overflow hole. I'm not sure if I need to replace sink. Corian top siliconed to double vanity. Help!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A lav with overflow protection has a space below that junctions with the overflow from the top of the bowl. The drain has holes that allow the flow to drop downward and into the lower portion of the drain.
If as part of manufacturing that use a plug, and that plug is leaking, I would find a way to seal it.
Removing an undermount is not fun. It won't be under pressure, so I wouldn't think it would take much to seal it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The sink is defective and water is backing up into the overflow passage during drainage. If the sink is from a "big box store", it was probably NOT final inspected so that YOU are the final inspector. If you keep it, and patch the leak, they made a profit on the sale. If you return it, they don't lose anything, because it should have been destroyed before it left the factory.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you keep it, and patch the leak, they made a profit on the sale. If you return it, they don't lose anything, because it should have been destroyed before it left the factory.

And homeowners wonder why we buy from suppliers instead. We're in there every day as a customer. They don't dare try to sell us materials we can't use and install.
I've brought back stuff that homeowners have supplied, and when I show them where the defect is, they refuse to mark it and instead put it back on the shelf so they can sell it again.

A plumbing supplier takes it out to the trash container and smashes it so it doesn't get resold.
There is a big difference in attitudes.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; A plumbing supplier takes it out to the trash container and smashes it so it doesn't get resold.

Normally, they would not get it in the first place, but if they do, the factory representative destroys it after issuing the credit. I have even seen them punch a hole i a cast iron tub so it could NOT be resold, or used, even if someone would want it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks