Fleck 7000 mysteriously changes capacity setting

Users who are viewing this thread

Lifespeed

Reaction score
I have a 1 year old Fleck 7000 valve on a 1.5 cu ft 10" X 54" tank that mysteriously changes the capacity setting on its own. It always changes to 35 x1000. This may happen after a power outage, but I am not sure. The other settings remain valid.

Obviously this will mess with the continuous availability of soft water, as experience with this unit, Hach 5B test kit at the end of a run, and the cheap Carbochem IonPlus™ CA-10 lead me to believe the actual capacity is about 30K grains when regenerated at 8 lbs/ft. When the salt tank ran out I measured the water in the brine tank after refill. It was indeed the 4 gallons programmed by the 0.25 GPM BLFC button.

Any idea why the capacity changes on it's own? Firmware bug? I am finding this quite annoying as it interferes with the whole low-maintenance goal of the system. Programming below. I just performed a Master Reset and reprogrammed. But I did this once before and today I found the capacity at 35K again.

Edit: I have software version 2.4

DF Gal
VT df2b
CT fd
C 30,000
H 18
RS rc
rc 180
DO 28
RT 2:45
B1 10
BD 60
B2 6
RR 6
BF 17 (4 gal, 12 lbs, 8 lbs/ft)
FM t1.2

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The SXT version has been out for many years. It may be a problem related to the super capacitor or who knows what. Fleck is awesome at warranty compared to other companies. I sent you a PM

Lifespeed

Reaction score
Here is an interesting article outlining what Solid State Disk manufacturers think of the new supercapacitors vs. good old tantalum capacitors. If you need a large enough capacitor to run a remote control airplane for a few minutes, well, nothing but a supercapacitor will do it. As to the 7000SXT, maybe hours of memory hold-up are too much for a tantalum also.

Lifespeed

Reaction score
Fixed?

Installed and programmed the new circuit board. After it went through calibration I left it running for about 45 minutes, then disconnected AC power for 14 hours. All settings, including capacity, remained unchanged. I think it will take a number of months and power outages before I can be sure it is fixed.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Good information on the capacitor. A little trick we have learned on some of the capacitor power backup boards regardless of manufacturer, If you are having an unexplained quirk in the programming or cant get a complete hard reset, years ago we found out that we could leave the power off for a few days and the boards are like new, but an even quicker way is to power the boards down, and jump the capacitor to discharge it instantly. This has been a great solution for certain PLC, circuit boards, etc. when you are in the field and dont want to wait a week or two for a new controller.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks