pipes around water heater develop pinhole leaks fairly frequently

Users who are viewing this thread

slnm

Reaction score
Hi,

I live in Santa Fe, New Mexico (in case the climate or the hardness of the water matters for this question). I have 9-year old house. A few years ago one of the pipes by the water heater developed a pinhole leak. A couple of years later another one developed. Four months ago another leak, two months another one and, now, I have a brand new tiny leak. Every time I have a leak I bring in the plumber and he replaces the piece of bad pipe.

Is there a long-term solution to this problem?

Tomorrow afternoon the plumber is coming in again. I've asked him for his thoughts on how to fix this problem for good. He says he has some thoughts he's going to share. I would appreciate the input of members of this forum as well. What are my options? Replace all the piping with something other than copper that isn't going to leak, if such a thing exists? Install anodes in the water heater?

I'm not a DIY kind of guy but I'd like to have an intelligent conversation with the plumber.

Thanks very much.

SL in NM

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks