type of p-trap for tub drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Brian Guinness

Reaction score
Hi all,
(apologies if this has been asked an answered, but i searched quite a bit)

I'm in the midst of a bathroom remodel and am working on replacing the tub. I removed the old tub and the brass drain assembly, which connected to 1 1/2" PVC. I'm looking to put in an all-PVC drain assembly. Because of the way the drain pipe is angled, a p-trap with union joint (and union nut) is dry fitting much better than a p-trap that uses PVC cement to connect the two pieces - which was my first preference as I was more confident that it would never leak. But this cemented p-trap assembles top-to-bottom almost 1" higher and really throws everything off when connected to the drain pipe.

So... is it OK and proper to use a p-trap with a union joint for a tub drain that i will have almost no access to once i drop the tub in? I'm a bit worried about the possibility of a leak, but am hoping that's just paranoia

thanks!
Brian

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Plumbing inspectors like to see a solvent weld p-trap.

In forty years, I've never installed a p-trap for a tub or shower that had a union.

Brian Guinness

Reaction score
Thank you, Terry, for the quick reply. It is what I expected. Now I just need to figure out how to get a solvent weld p-trap to fit!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks