Welcome to Hydroponics, Gardening, & Greenhouse forum! Please read before posting.

Users who are viewing this thread

hygron

Reaction score
Website
hygronomics.com
A little about your moderator. I am legally blind; So please be patient if I have a typo, or miss something you wrote. Thanks.

Now about my Hydroponic experience. I am a South Carolina Certified Grower. Here at the farm we grow Habanero peppers for Whole Foods, Burpless seedless cucumbers for pickles and relish, and a variety of heirloom Tomatoes, since 2005. I am self taught for the most part, but in the beginning I had guidance from a local professional hydroponics farmer, and A multinational "State" field rep from South Africa; Who mentored me for the 1st year, and helped me design my own nutrient blends. All this was very helpful to me as; 1. It allowed me to learn corporate "Crop King" style greenhouse methods, and; 2. By learning 3rd World methods form areas in South Africa, and Kenya; I learned a more rustic and natural way of using hydroponics.

"Corporate" system methods are by the numbers, and almost always automated. 3rd World methods are often without powered mechanical components, using gravity feed to waste applications. However, Some higher end farms do operate with a 1" in 8' drain through grow beds to reservoir recirculating system, pumping the run off, back to the top.

I am more into the 3rd world methods, combined at times with some Dutch methods, commonly used in "Corporate" style greenhouses, but without all the expensive computer equipment. because it is more sensible and cost efficient for the average hobbyist or homeowner attempting to grow more healthy food for the family table. I will also cover home made DIY type hydroponic projects for beginners, or those with a curiosity into the magic of Hydroponics.

Thanks for reading. I would appreciate you posting in a Q & A style, posting your questions or comments in the title. Please always post appropriately. Peace :cool:

Phillip Durham

Reaction score
Hello I live in Foley /Gulf Shores , ALABAMA , and I am wanting to start a hydroponic based outdoor farm .
I would want to use a green sustainable plan with aquaponics and hydroponic set-ups with a tank system and some sort of sustainable fish species as my main fertilizer source , , I know very little to nothing of how to get started , but it would prefer it to be for a income to support my family and some bills as you might consider this a corporate type of setup , but I want to do it as simply and small scaled as possible , but also be able to produce a maximum output of whatever crops I can grow the most of to get the most profit , we have five acres here of land , and I can dedicate at least 3 to 4 acres of it to the plan , I'm very interested in this getting started , and my main questions to you would be , can you direct me toward a good source of info , on how to setup such a privately owned hydro-farm at such a scale as what I am speaking of , we gave nothing but thousands of acres of farms surrounding us , up until you get as far as the beach , and vacationers 'lol' but the surrounding farms grow all sorts of things from corn, to soybeans, tosmaller farms that grow entire grocery store varieties of full see tons of veggies , but no one does what we are wanting to do
Could you provide me with any help you can on how I could setup a farm as described and specifically what I could grow to maximize my profit margins , and I do also know that , with hydro farming sometimes it is possible to grow things that aren't necessarily in your climate range, but the method makes it possible, ?? Do you know of any specific varietis of veggies - fruits or things that are considered rare to us here in the states , or that are growing expenentially in profit margins such as TUMARIC , OR GINGER , OR EVEN GINSENG POSSIBLY
Please let me know of any pant types that would be in a group of high returns , and if possible large scale plans on how to setup hydro and or aquaponic type farms with fish as a fertilizing source , please ,
And thank you in advance for any help sincerely - hydro ready in DEEP SOUTH PARADISE ALABAMA ,U.S. !

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Is Hydro that much better than soil ?

What are the advantages of Hydro ?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks