Dual Outlet shut-off valve for better flow?

Users who are viewing this thread

DaveT

Reaction score
I have an installation at my kitchen sink which has a standard shut-off valve, 5/8C in x 3/8C out, that serves the faucet and dishwasher [hot water]. The faucet is a pull-out style that has a small supply tube and hence reduced flow. To compound the problem, the installation has what appears to be a 3/8C x 3/8C x 3/8C tee attached to the outlet of the shut-off. The inlet to the tee has a very small "special nipple" that adapts to a female thread on the tee inlet and has a compression nut on the other end to attach to the shut-off outlet. As a result, the flow is really restricted, and if the dishwasher calls for water, it is REALLY restricted.

I have looked at the big box stores, and see the tee, described to do exactly what it is doing - from a 3/8C shut-off to 2-3/8C devices. Looking into the guts, I can see why the flow is restricted. That "special nipple" has a hex hole to allow for nipple installation that is much smaller than the flow area of the 3/8 outlets. At least, that's the way the one I saw at Lowe's was.

I would like to improve the flow. I see there are dual outlet [3-way] shut-off valves available, 5/8C in x 2-3/8C out. Keeney Mfg, #K2903PC @ Lowes is one. Looking into it, the inlet hole is still small, but looks to be bigger than the hex and the round shape has to be better for flow. I would prefer ¼ turn, and the configuration of the Keeney is just what I have, but other configurations are OK.

It seems like eliminating one component would have to be better, so should I just replace the shut-off valve? But will it improve things, and does anyone know if one brand is better than another for flow? I searched and see Brasscraft makes one [different configuration and not ¼ turn] @ Home Depot that I have not investigated in person.

If I do replace the shut-off valve, can I use the current compression nut and sleeve with the new valve? Or should I cut the ½" copper to get a new surface?

Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can reuse the backing compression nut, or cut the copper back if there is room.
They also have sleeve pullers that will slide that nut off.
It's in the kitchen cabinet, so not a big deal either way.

We carry double stops on the truck with two handles. I don't like a single handle with two outlets.
In that case, I just solder on more pipe and make it two stops.
I've yet to find a supplier that carries the two handle stops in 1/4 turns. I would love to have those.

DaveT

Reaction score
Look here:

Brasscraft Dual Outlet 1:4 turn.jpg

Terry, You didn't comment on whether you thought the effort was worth it - to increase the flow over what I have now?

Last edited:

Chefwong

Reaction score
Google Dahl. I've been using them for years. They ain't the cheapest....but they are 1/4 turn, made in CANADA with USA Materials..
1/4 Turn but only single handle that controls both.

I generally stub and solder a T on both H and C feeds in the kitchen cabs...and have dual separate valves.
The reasoning for this is 2 fold. On the 2nd Hot, it usually feeds the DW. The 2nd cold, it may serve as a seperate water water filter source. If not, it just get's turned off and I put a cap on it.

DaveT

Reaction score
I did end up replacing the fitting and valve with a 3-way shutoff valve. The flow is much improved. The valve has a clean circular flow area that is about 2x the flow area of the hex socket that was buried inside the compression T-fitting - about 1/4 dia hole vs approx 3/16 hex socket.

When I was looking at options, there were two brands of T-fittings available - one had a similar hex, the other a 1/4 circular hole. I ended up replacing the valve, so didn't buy either.

Thanks for the reponses.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks