Ceiling fan

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
I can oblige you JW! I am more than happy to start this thread since, I have too little time to play with this problem.
My diningroom fan and light. First it was the chain, too many pulls for its age I reckon. But, I got the chain to still work turning on the light, fan never stopped working. I put 4 new bulbs in, and 2 promptly blew. I am working it by the wall switch but, am cautious regarding a possible short in either the wiring or the fan. Both are old. I called the warranty company so, they are coming out, but, since you need something to do, lol, and I would love to have some feedback so, it is all good.

What do you think Jw? Wiring or fan? Either way it is covered because, as I read your "help" I am bored thread, lol, I was putting together a new fan. Thank you for your time and consideration, Cookie

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Blowing bulbs could be a voltage problem. That could occur with either a loose connection, or worst case a bad neutral and a shared circuit that could allow 240vac on them, which would blow them out nearly immediately. Do they get REALLY bright for a moment, when they blow out?

Cookie

Reaction score
This fan is old, I think, it is the fan. We will find out, the electrician called tonite but I missed his call. It started acting up when the chain pull wouldn't work anymore. So, I just left it off until, I had time to fix the chain. So, I got the chain to work one more time, and I use it from the wall switch. I thought I would put all new bulbs in and when I did, one immediately shut off, didn't get brighter than it should, can't say that, it just blew, just went out; then, the other one did the same. Since, then, the other 2 are working when it gets turned on accidentally I noticed but those two are still out. It is interesting to say the least.

I finally broke down while at Lowes about 6 weeks ago, and bought a new one. Called the warranty company today and they will be out when I schedule it. I doubt it is really anything more than the fan. I had to replace the kitchen fan about 5 years ago, this one was a real trip. lol. I turned the old one on one day and I swear on everything holy it spuns sparks like a fire work display. I called the warranty company and had a new fan on hand and it was the fan.

Things get old. Including me. I can't believe I will be 60 on my next birthday, where did the time go. Thanks Jad.

Cookie

Reaction score
I am not exactly certain what you mean, but, if you mean do I need to put an order in, a claim was already made. The electrician and I go back a ways back, and, he said, he has to put something back up and he doesn't care what it is, new one, ie, as long as it is put together. And,it is.

I sat and put together probably, my 5th fan. These days most come preassembled to the motor housing, not much to do really, other than the blades with their screws. And, I won't put those on so it is easier for him to mount. Even, the light screws are preassembled to the switch housing, just got to put the globes in with a turn. He may have to tweak it if it needs balanced.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
This is the type of warranty you buy from the gas company. You can pick from so many, and the prices are nothing, and they cover everything. A fantastic deal. 42.00 a year for all electrical in my house to be covered, you can't beat that. Check it out.
https://www.dominionenergy.com/en/home-protection

...and, no deductible. The electrical is either, 3.50 a month added onto your electric bill, or you can pay to the gas company the 42.00 a year.

Each one is a different amount, but, all so very inexpensive. The best thing since indoor plumbing!

So far through the years, I have had 4 outlets replaced, 4 ceiling fans, this makes the fifth, and the bathroom fan. That I can think of.

It has raised 25cents a month, in about 8 years. I have some of the other programs, but, thankfully, never yet, a need to use them. But, the water heater is old, probably down the road, replaced at no cost.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
I didn't get my favorite electrician today. Instead, I got someone nice enough, but... he would only check the wiring on the switch and tell me it was the bulbs, saying Sylvania are bad, so, we did tried different bulbs. Now, granted, I may look blonde, lol, but, it is fake blonde. I am real brunette. I wasn't really impressed with him, he said, he was going to meter it, and then, didn't have his meter. So, I will just bite the bullet and hire a real electrician and have him check it all out, and if the fan, have him replace that, too. I clocked this guy, he was here, 7 minutes. My doctor gives me more time. At least 8.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Please forgive me for not seeing this thread the last couple of time I was here. To big of a hurry I suppose

When I buy bulbs I always get 130 volt bulbs as they will last a lot longer than the lower voltage bulbs.

Another problem is the center tab gets bent inward which will shorten the life of a bulb. Be careful should you use your finger to bend this tab outward as this can be a very shocking experience.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with Sylvania bulbs.

They may have been rough handled.

I have had many new lightbulbs blow, or not work at all because the filament was open.

It is not a Sylvania problem, It is a supplier or shipping problem most of the time.

I normally change my own light bulbs, but it is nice to have someone too turn the ladder.

Good Luck with the electrician.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Regarding the quality of the workmen. My water heater has been "failing" for a long time, and I was waiting for it to finish failing so I could get the home warranty company to replace it. Last week, it reached a point where I decided it was time so I submitted a claim. The "plumber" they sent got authorization to replace the tank, which should cover the entire installation, but then, in order to "add to his profit", he wanted $85.00 to connect the flue, (he wanted to add a charge for a 4x3 "bushing, because he did not even know that the new draft diverter was for 3" OR 4"), $85.00 to connect the relief valve to its drain which would be about 4" away from the new T&P location, and $65.00 to connect the gas line. I told him to just install the heater and I would make the connections, but he said that the warranty company would insist he do the entire job. So I did what I intended to do anyway, which was call the warranty company and find out how much he was charging and tell them I would install it for the same price. Their initial offer was less than the propane water heater would cost, but they said he had told them it was a natural gas water heater. The revised price was "reasonable", although a lot less than I would have charged a customer, so I accepted it. Heater goes in Sunday.

Cookie

Reaction score
I didn't get the other electrician out yet, because I got sidetracked on the front trees. Two had to come down. They were big. They housed a lot of birds and squirrels which makes me feel bad. I looked out the morning after at the front and saw a robin walking the road, kind of like pacing. I saw a squirrel sitting on the stump looking up, lol, and, an assortment of other kinds just looking confused. I took away their homes. I am sure...with the car in the driveway, their will be payback.

Next the electrician. Let us know, how your heater goes HJ. This will probably be coming up soon, too. It is always something, eh. But, I guess if you get nearly 2 decades out of a water heater, maybe, 30 years out of a ceiling fan, 55 years out of a furnace and 75 years out of silver maples you done good. My cat turned 25 in January. I am 59 years old with more health problems than carter got pills and I am still here fixing things, lol. I am actually, comically, in the Guinness World Records for the most recorded bouts of NHL.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
People ask me why I put about Prostate Cancer on my website for Lymphoma. I tell em, because if I had one, I would have that type, too. lol. If you want a little chuckle, read... My day.. I don't get no respect, on my website. True story, kind of funny. www.lymphomabasics.com

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks