Install question about salt storage tank overflow

Users who are viewing this thread

angboy

Reaction score
We installed a Whirlpool Model WHES48 water softener in our garage. Got the necessary permit and then did it ourselves. HD was able to do it, for something like a $129 install charge, which they said would include the local permit fee, which was around $70. So that left only about$50-$60 towards the actual install. When we got to the part about the salt storage tank overflow hose, we weren't sure what to do with it. We don't have a drain anywhere near the water softener, and the instructions say this drain is a gravity drain that should go to a floor drain or other suitable drain point. So we ran the hose to outside the garage door. The water softener is positioned close to the front of the garage door, so the hose just goes about 3 feet and then outside to the driveway that is slanted downhill. but my question is, this doesn't really seem like a professional solution and since we have to have someone come inspect this from the permit office, I don't want them to come and tell me we need to do something else or maybe fine us for not doing it right. But the water softener was placed right where the builder had pre-plumbed for a water softener and would have put one had we been willing to pay their prices. I can't imagine that with such a small profit margin, that HD was going to install a new drain or somehow route the hose any differently than we did, so I'm wondering if anyone knows what the proper placement for this is? If it matters, we live in Las Vegas, NV. Thanks in advance!

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
The overflow is in case the salt tank fills up. Since it is not hooked up to a drain, there is no chance for a cross connection (what the inspector should be checking for) you should pass inspection.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's just the overflow for the brine tank and if the softener is working correctly it will never see water. Don't worry about it.

angboy

Reaction score
Thanks very much! I appreciate the feedback and guess I'll get that inspection scheduled now.

C

CameronRobertson

How did the inspection go? I'm eager to find out more about this because I may have some clients who have had the same queries regarding getting a permit for water softening and the like for their storage systems. Is there anything I should be watching out for before I even start looking at putting a water softener in? I would love to get a professional plumber in to install it for me, but it helps if I kind of have the gist of what he's doing at the same time. Would love some advice!

angboy

Reaction score
How did the inspection go? I'm eager to find out more about this because I may have some clients who have had the same queries regarding getting a permit for water softening and the like for their storage systems. Is there anything I should be watching out for before I even start looking at putting a water softener in? I would love to get a professional plumber in to install it for me, but it helps if I kind of have the gist of what he's doing at the same time. Would love some advice!

It went fine, he really mainly looked at the connections in the back of the water softener, to make sure things were correctly connected to the wall connectors. Didn't say a thing about the overflow hose I was worried about.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks