Bathtub three faucet stem removal

Users who are viewing this thread

MIHillbilly

Reaction score
I have been trying to remove this stem for some time. I do not see any large hex that I can grab onto. I have tried pulling to no avail. In the attached photos, the packing nut is removed, the outer ring goes all the way back to the bronze fixture, I just can't show that on a photo. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• tub 1.jpg
    tub 1.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 462
  • tub 2.jpg
    tub 2.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 396
  • tub 3.jpg
    tub 3.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 393

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
That is a Sayco faucet. It looks like the chrome sleeve has broken and part of it still remains over the hex nut that holds the stem in place. That sleeve must be removed before you can get any kind of wrench over the hex nut.

John

MIHillbilly

Reaction score
John, you may be right. On all three the chrome escutcheon is fused to a chrome sleeve. It took a lot of counter clockwise torque to break the sleeve loose. All three slipped out and left similar view of a hex back in a sleeve. I assumed it was crud that had the chrome sleeve stuck to the galvanized sleeve. All three chrome sleeves look fine, I don't see evidence of a break. Any suggestion on how to get the heavy sleeve free. I don't see any way to get a tool back there.

Thanks,

Scott

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Prime candidate for a remodel plate and a new valve! Probably spend less time mucking around, and it would then be up to date on the anti-scald requirements. The remodel plates are designed to fit over the new hole you have to make to remove the old valve, then the new one fits on top of that plate as if it were the wall.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can see if a needle nose pliers will pull the sleeves out.
They you can use a deep socket on it.

tub-sockets.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can see if a needle nose pliers will pull the sleeves out.
They you can use a deep socket on it.

Or this:

attachment.php

Last edited:

MIHillbilly

Reaction score
I did manage to get two locking needle nose pliers locked on. I PB Blasted, pulled, twisted, lightly tapped and said some words that my mom would not like to hear coming out of my mouth. None of that worked. I'm not surprised considering the amount of torque required to break lose the outer sleeves. I buttoned it back up and will live with it another week with some dripping. My mother-in-law will visit all next week and let me know numerous times that it is leaking, so I will not forget about it. When she is gone, I will commence to tearing it out and replacing with a single faucet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks