PLEASE HELP.....New Conv. Jet Pump Problems!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

brnltjo

Reaction score
Man do I need some serious expert help on this....tired of all the "backyard plumbing advice". We have a cottage along a large river, which my lovely wife constantly retrieves water from to water her garden flowers, (1)bucket at a time. I finally decded to give her a surprise and run a pump line from the rivers edge to a hosebib at the cottage.

Here is what I have:
---From the end of the foot valve in the river to the location of where I want the pump is 121' of 1" industrial rubber suction line.
---The total rise in elevation over the entire 121' is approx 15'-17'.
---Other than the initial 5' of vertical rise at the rivers edge, the remaining length is a slow and gentle grade.
---I purchased from Grainger a Dayton Model #5UXL3 with Ejector Kit #5UXL5 1HP Convertible Jet Pump system w/pressure tank

Here is whats happening:
---After completely priming the entire line and pump(making absolutely sure to remove any air), turned on, pump would only get to 35psi and not shut off.
---I reached in the water and felt around the foot valve and didn't feel any suction while it was running.
---As soon as I removed the foot valve under water(with pump running at 35psi), all the water in the suction line immediately came rushing back downhill to the river.

To me this proves that the weight of the water and gravity are more than the pump can pull/suck? We then switched the location of the pump and moved it to within 20' of the foot valve and it worked fine. I know it sounds like it is a fixed issue, but we don't wan an electric pump sitting along a riversedge(theft and weather). We would like to have the pump up at the cottage location.

Please tell me how to get her "flower" water from the river up to our cottage, having the pump at the cottage!!!

Thanks so very much!
"Totaly dry in PA"
Steve

I have heard every thing from:
---You need 1 1/4" suction line due o friction loss
---You need to do a better job of priming
---You need a bigger pump

So what is the real issue and can I get what I have to work at the cottage, 121' from the river.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
"Approx 15' to 17' lift" is very important. If it is actually 22', the pump won't lift that far. Even 17' with 121' of pipe with friction loss is probably more than the pump can do. Since it is a convertable jet, move the jet assembly to the waters edge. You will have to run two pipes to the water instead of one this way, but the jet will be pushing water instead of sucking, and it can move water from a lot farther away.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Also, check to see that the "rubber hose" is not collapsing somewhere. You need to use rigid piping, not flex piping for the suction because once it goes under a vacuum it can collapse.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The "rubber hose" should be rigid enough for the pressurized two pipe converted jet that valveman proposed.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would toss the rubber hose and use the proper pipe, you NEVER know when the inner liner will collapse and cause problems.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks