pressureless automatic drain valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Pigeon

Reaction score
Hello, is there anyone that is aware of an automatic drain valve? What I'm trying to accomplish is having a bowl of water get filled off a float valve and drained from the bottom of the bowl multiply times a day automatically. I have an inline sprinkler control valve but that does not work unless under pressure. The bowl would be suspended well off the ground and would only be drained off of gravity. The automatic drain valve for sprinkler systems won't work because it needs to drained straight down and into a pipe. The draining needs to be timer operated. Is anyone aware of a way to do this.

Pigeon

Reaction score
I'm sorry, the title should have been "looking for Pressureless automatic drain valve" change that for me? I'm looking for a solution to a problem. I'm plumping up a water bowl to a float vavle so that it fills automatically. What I want is a pipe at the bottom of the bowl so that it can drain all the water out of the bowl. So I need a valve placed under the bowl that will open to allow the water in the bowl to drain out and then close back up allowing the bowl to fill again. So I'm looking for a system that can do this free from me manually turning a valve open and closed to drain it similar to an irrigation valve. One I could have programmed to drain multiply times a day. This way the water in the bowl is staying fresh. Is that clear? I'm right outside of Cave Creek BTW, in Desert Hills.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you are not looking for something "elegant looking", any solenoid valve which did not require water pressure to open it will work along with a "multi cycle" plug into the wall timer.

Pigeon

Reaction score
Hey, thanks a lot. Not looking for anything elegant looking it will be in a wall. It will be used inside a pigeon loft. I did not know that they were refered to as solenoid valves just that irrigation valves which now know to be a solenoid valve do the same thing. I don't know much about these things as you can tell. Now I found that the valve I did buy had a safety device to prevent the free flow of water which is obviously what I need. Would I be able to find one that works at lowes or home depot? If not is there a place you can point me to in the locally around here (cave creek)? Thanks again for your help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many of these operate at 24vac, so you'd need a transformer to make them work. One for a whole house humidifier should work. You should be able to buy one of these at a plumbing supply house as a repair part. They have a compression fitting on both sides, and when you apply 24vac, the valve opens. You'd need a timer that opened long enough to drain the bowl to possibly control the line voltage of the transformer. Expect to pay in the order of around $25 or so for the valve.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pigeon

Reaction score
Thanks, We called around today to some supply houses and couldnt find it. Still have more i could call. This little creative system my brother came up with may be over our heads. Might just end up making it manual. Anyways i thought i would be able to just hook it up to a sprinkler timer and that would take care of everything, would it? Thanks for the help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks