Urinal Flush Valves for Washbrook

Users who are viewing this thread

PlumberJ

Reaction score
I am looking to replace an existing manual flush valve which sits above an AS Washbrook urinal with a set of parts which include a sensor and a solenoid valve to control the water to flush the urinal - a kind of do it yourself automatic flush valve. Has anyone tried this before and if so what are the likely issues with codes? Basically I am looking to source parts from a home improvement store so I can swap out the manual valve.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts! :)

Washbrook® 0.125 – 1.0 gpf (0.47 – 3.8 Lpf) Top Spud Urinal (americanstandard-us.com)

washbrook.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

PlumberJ

Reaction score
Hey John, it's a Sloan. So I want to remove that and replace with parts which include a sensor so I can effectively create my own automatic sensor-activated valve.

Thanks.

sloan-flushometer-terrylove-1.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Trying to build your own means fighting the certification agencies for both the plumbing bits and potentially, the electrical bits...much better to buy one that has already jumped those hurdles.

PlumberJ

Reaction score
Hi Jim,

That's useful, thanks. You and johnjh2o1 and wjcandee all seem to agree on the retrofit approach and I can see the advantage of that in terms of it being pre-approved etc. which sounds sensible.

Just to take it the full course, with a build-your-own version, which certification agencies would you need to speak with?

Best.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Electrical, UL, plumbing parts, take a look at the stickers on a stock valve in the store. A plumbing inspector could give you all sorts of grief (or not) if it's not something out of the box that has already been approved. To get those approvals is not inexpensive, and not something you'd likely want to do as a one-off. But, if you can build it out of parts that have already been approved, you have a chance with the inspector.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks