Softener Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

alexh

Reaction score
Hi,

As I posted earlier, I tried to use my outdoor 1.5" AC condensation drain but it only flowed about 2 ga/min. I tried to snake it and then was able to put a garden hose running full bore down the pipe and lots of gravel started coming up. So suffice it to say that I think that pipe drains to an underground gravel field or the pipe is broken.

So my only other choice is the recessed style washer drain which is inside the house (I have to go through one wall). I have a high efficiency washer so the washer drain hose is small.
The drain pipe opening is about 1.75" and there is about 6" clearance above the drain opening. I'm running 3/4" PVC for the softener drain (about a 30' run).
Airgap International has an air gap made for recessed washer drains but they want $50 for it!
Is there another solution for the air gap?

Thanks

http://www.airgap.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can come off the standpipe, add a wye or tee and have a second standpipe for the softener drain. It needs a gap between the top of the drain and the end of the softener drain piping. That prevents back siphoning and keeps the potable water pure.

alexh

Reaction score
So hack open the box a little around the pipe, add a "Y", run washer hose into horiz inlet and position 3/4" PVC above vertical inlet using clamps?

Attachments

• IMG_0624.jpg
    IMG_0624.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Well............I like the idea of letting the washer have the main shot, and I was thinking of the softener drain take the offset drain.
I would leave the box alone, but cut the drywall below it and come out of the wall for that.
But really, there are so many ways that will work. It's the fun and the art of plumbing figuring out "your" way within the codes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks