Two Stub Outs in Under Kitchen Sink? Garbage disposal woes...

Users who are viewing this thread

bbeardb

Reaction score
Two Stub Outs Under Kitchen Sink? Garbage disposal woes...

I've lurked for years. I can't figure this one out with my searching. My skill level is DIY.

I've replaced my Insinkerator Badger 5 with a Waste King 3300. The Waste King's drain is significantly lower then the badger. I originally had a disposal end waste kit as shown in the lower part of this diagram.

2005-9-9_disposal_end_waste_kit_w550.JPG

Since the new disposal is lower, even this I don't think I can get to work. Here is a picture of it mocked up with the new unit:

photo.jpg

My questions are, what is the second drain pipe attached to the lower stub? It goes up to a "Y" under my counter and is open to the atmosphere. I have my dishwasher drain hose stuck into one "Y" opening.

Can I route my sink drains to the lower stub and move this unknown vent to the upper?

There has to be a way to make this work and the solution is not coming to me, probably because I'm mostly confused about the second stub and I've never actually ran my own pipe before.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
We can't tell you WHAT that second trap is, because your picture cuts the top of it off. I can tell you, however, that if it is open to the atmosphere, it WILL overflow if the drain line becomes even partially obstructed. Since i do not like WasteKing disposers my "real" reaction to your problem would be to tell you to return it and get a "good" one, i.e., an InSinkErator.

Last edited:

bbeardb

Reaction score
I thought I stated what second trap goes to, a "Y" that vents to the atmosphere under the counter top. I'm guessing it's a standpipe just for the dishwasher. But I just now finished kludging something together that I hope has enough drop before the wall. I think I'll stick with the WasteKing as I wasn't impressed with the InSinkErator and am replacing it since it had failed.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
The top opening where you have the sink drain connected may have been the vent for an air admittance valve (AAV). The lower pipe into the wall may be where the drain from the sink should be draining into. If that is the case you should have plenty of room to re-do the pipes and plumb it correctly.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Take hj advice and go to the Insinkerator brand. The Badger 5 is the low end of Insinkerator line but still a good unit. I have a Badger 5 in use for 14 years and no problems. In another home I rebuilt the entire kitchen and put in Insinkerator new Evolution Compact model. Just a super quite unit. Notice the height from the sink to the discharge outlet. Go the Insinkerators web site and you can find the measurements.

IMG_1043.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I think I'll stick with the WasteKing as I wasn't impressed with the InSinkErator and am replacing it since it had failed.

Anything over 8 years is a bonus.
Plumbers don't install WasteKing. We know better than that. But since it's your home, and I don't have to see it, go for it.

If you had picked up the Insinkerator Evolution Compact like the picture above, the job would have been done by now. And you would have had the super quiet, deluxe, Insinkerator with an in-home warranty.

If you stick with the WasteThing, you will need a reverse p-trap, putting the drain a bit too low to drain correctly. But it may push out when the motor is on.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks