Need Advice on water softener Installation

Users who are viewing this thread

ra

Reaction score
Hi There,

Can anybody help me out on my water softener installation.
I`m looking to install my water softener to my house plumbing and your suggestions are very much valuable.
Can somebody look at the attached picture and give me the list what i need to buy for plumbing the softener to the water line.
I am mechanically inclined but do not know much on the plumbing side.
I believe it is not a difficult task.
Thanks.
photo.jpg

ra

Reaction score
Yes, it is the main line from city.
The size is 3/4" and the line for yard is 1/2"

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The valve is a 5800 series, we need to see the bypass/plumbing connectr to know for sure what you need. I would recommend the falcon John Guest x 3/4" FIP connector if your valve has the 60049 bypass and 18706-02 3/4" plumbing connector. jg.jpg

ra

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Dittohead,

Hope the picture below helps you to know more about the connection.

photo.jpg

ra

Reaction score
And also see the 3/4" SS by-pass valve that i will be using11BJbL6-WLL.jpg41AVbpXIreL.jpg

ditttohead

Reaction score
The SS bypass is very high quality and will last for decades. If you use the Falcon 3/4" x john guest flexible adapter, a stainless steel 3/4" nipple is cheap and will convert the FIP threads to an MIP thread that will attach properly to the Falcon Flex line. http://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-...ble-water-connector-34-ptc-x-34-fip-x-18.aspx this is a good source for this item. http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/6/=ngr3kj part# 4830K193 is the stainless steel nipples you would use.

Hope this helps!

Any other suggestions from the real plumbers? I am a certified installer with the WQA and a C-55 contractor, but I am always open to the ideas of guys who do real plumbing for a living every day.

Dont forget the drain line, just use 1/2" PVC, it is a non pressurized line. Be sure to install a proper air-gap. Test your incoming water pressure to. Do not exceed 80 PSI (UPC 608.2).

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not real happy with the 3/4" pex. It and the fittings are restrictive as hell. I'm afraid the flow may suck

ditttohead

Reaction score
Code allows for higher velocity in pex than in copper but... we get calls constantly from people having problems with restricted flow in new houses that have pex. Mainly the showers and bathrooms farthest from the feed pipe. Pex can be run in smaller piping according to code, but some engineers and planners are not taking the frictional losses into account properly or they are under engineering the pipe size to save a few bucks. If I am not mistaken, 12FPS is considered acceptable for Pex, copper is rated for 8 FPS. That is a significant difference. Personally, I will stick with my copper plumbing.

ra

Reaction score
Thanks for all your inputs,
Now i have successfully installed the Softener, but i need your help to program the softener.
I have the manual it came with it but it`s not that clear.
Can anybody guide me from the start up as if to plug in the unit and starting at first time.
your help is greatly appreciated Pro`s,
Thanks,

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks