Can anyone identify this 1/4 stop?

Users who are viewing this thread

John28

Reaction score
I been searching all around for a couple compression type stops, 1/4 ball vale with a Stainless Steel ball. Not sure if they even exsist, this is all I came across on the web? It's on YouTube and not sure if it's a Stainless Steel ball, or chome plated, not sure? He never does mention the brand, does anyone know what brand he is using here? Never had much luck with the cheaper Brasscraft, years later when you want to shut off the supply and it doesn't turn, just looking for something better. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
After watching that video all I can say is, He's an idiot.
There is not a plumber in the world that would replace an angle stop in that manner. Nerver use tape on compression threads.
And we use a sleeve puller and remove the backing nut; that way we can also replace the wall esctcheon.
I'm amazed that such a poor video of what not to do had been watched that many times. Wow!

sleeve_puller_1.jpg

Last edited:

John28

Reaction score
After watching that video all I can say is, He's an idiot.
There is not a plumber in the world that would replace an angle stop in that manner. Nerver use tape on compression threads.
And we use a sleeve puller and remove the backing nut; that way we can also replace the wall esctcheon.
I'm amazed that such a poor video of what not to do had been watched that many times. Wow!

True, he even uses the same nut and ring? I just came across it while searching, and was curious of the Brand of stop it was? Wasn't posting because I thought it was a good video.:eek:

John28

Reaction score
I'm guessing no one knows what brand it is? As it is hard to see. Do you agree the valve looks like a pretty good one, or do you know of another with a good ball valve feature, stainless or chrome like this?

I'm having no luck finding any, the best 1/4 stop with stainless or chome plated ball that I located is the Sharkbite one. Looks like a very good valve, but just don't want the push on connection here. Thanks

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most of the 1/4 turn valves are pretty good. They haven't been failing on us.
Legend, Brasscrafft, Watts to name a few.

I've been bugging my son about shooting plumbing video for the web.
I have hours and hours of band video we've posted and have a local show in Seattle. But almost nothing on plumbing.
http://www.youtube.com/terrylovepresents

John28

Reaction score
Most of the 1/4 turn valves are pretty good. They haven't been failing on us.
Legend, Brasscrafft, Watts to name a few.

Any issues with the Brasscraft G2 series? Kind of liked these till I saw some with blown out stems on the web? Although once something gets out there, the web can make it seem a lot worse than it really is?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I hardly EVER replace the nut and ferrule when I replace the angle valve.

Gross!
We always replace the backing nut and the estcheon at the wall. It makes everything new again.

I guess that's why our customers love us! :)

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I haven't actually seen one in the flesh, but you might look at Dahl...family owned business as I understand it, supposed to be nice stuff.

Hairyhosebib

Reaction score
I would go with the Dahl Ball valve. These things are completely over built and that is a good thing! Much better than anything in the big box stores. The biggest problem with a angle stop is that nobody ever exercises them or any other shutoff in their home until they are needed. By then it is too late! They won't turn so then a wrench is used and then.....BAM!! The handle breaks off! Then you are in four about four trips to the hardware store. We started using the Dahl Ball valves on the ASU campus a few years ago. They have served us well. The water here is terrible. Valve failure is a real problem. When I first started working at ASU we replaced some butterfly valves in a building. I was amazed to see that there was nothing left but the stem the butterfly turned on. Water had eaten them up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks