Toilet flange dilemma

Users who are viewing this thread

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
This is not the optimal video, because the guy never shuts up and spends the first two minutes giving you a tour of his favorite drills, toolbox, blah, blah, blah, and then attaches the thing to a 12 foot pole and wonders why it wobbles a bit...

BUT... this does prove that there's a YouTube video for everything:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
This is one of those things where you have to be there to see exactly what you have. A properly done joint on pvc is solvent welded - the cement literally melts the plastic on both the pipe and the fitting, and when the solvents evaporate, it essentially becomes one piece. It can be difficult to remove a fitting from around the pipe without damaging it radically. Not saying it can't be done, but you may have difficulty as a first-timer (and some pros won't attempt it, either). As an aside, this is not true when trying to reuse say a hub...they make a simple tool to bore out the pipe from the inside of a hub so you can then install a new pipe. I've never tried it, but if you got a holesaw sized to fit just over the pipe and maybe a second one screwed onto the mandrel that just fit inside the pipe to act as a guide, you might be able to use that to ream off the toilet flange. The friction may be problematic, and if the guide came off, maybe a big problem! Brute force would have you cracking concrete, cutting the pipe deep enough to install a coupling and a short riser, then the new flange. I think there's some middle ground. But, depending on the toilet you have, if it's internal structure has the turn such that things are not still trying to turn to get into the drain, an inside fitting flange would work. Unless the toilet is skirted, you usually can just look at it from the side and see how the internal passages are routed.

Jayw

Reaction score
Took Terry's advise and simply cut the flange off ( 4 inch grinder on a down ward slice too pipe ) pulled off in small sections and put in inner flange, fit no prob to tile. Iam an over thinker to the max. Lol

Hope the smaller diameter is ok ... going to buy toilet with jet engine flush ( any recommondations? ). Told family that basement toilet is for "mild" # 2's. lol.

New shower thread coming soon ! Lol

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
A good solid performer in the gravity toilet lines is the original Toto Drake, CST744S, street price about $225. Great flush, high quality china, decent looking, reliable. I have two of them and love them. I also have a fancier Toto that we like as well. For another hundred, you can get the Drake II with double-cyclone flush for better bowl wash, CEFIONTECT coating for easier cleaning, universal height so you sit a little higher. That one is CST454CEFG.

Best way to find these is to call a local plumbing supply place with the model number and color (both whites, Cotton White and Colonial White (which is a little more ivory) can be had for the prices I quoted, but you may have to call around. Each one is a pretty-easy install, but read the instructions and the thread stickied at the top here to make sure you get it right.

Let us know how it goes.

Jayw

Reaction score
Well finally got back to project after busy summer...secured inner flange to tile, bought a kohler cimarron, installed fine, good flush but then trouble. I have the shower pipe exposed ( cause thats next job ) and when I flushed toliet, waste water came out shower pipe...Iam not a plumber but I think that's a problem! Lol.

I think i should call in plumber to have a look and give proper paid for advise!

Sink is now slow draining too. Not sure if its all vented proper.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You may just need to make sure the drains are clear.
A snake may help with that.

Many of the new bowls will flush with more oompf!

Jayw

Reaction score
The shower and sink don't have vents. It was never a problem before with the old toliet but since I put this one on it is back flowing to shower. At the time it was done 20 yrs ago i was told ( by a diy'er not a licenced plumber... First mistake!!!) the shower could tie into the toilet ( 1 1/2 abs shower too 3 inch TY for toliet ) to the main stack in the floor. From what I can remember.

Is that ok? Where should the vent for the shower go? The run from the shower drain too toliet is about 5 feet and the toliet to the main stack tie in is about 2.5 feet

Jayw

Reaction score
Flushing the toilet causes the trap in the shower to gurgle. Would it be due to a stronger flush with new toilet?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Possibly, but it could also be that the venting is inadequate or there's a partial blockage in the main drain line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks