(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Using old Copper Piping for new installations...

Question Using old Copper Piping for new installations...

Folks,

What are your thoughts about using scraps of old straight copper piping for a new boiler installation. These pipes are almost 50 years old. I had to remove a few feet of copper and now I need a small piece here and there for some 90's to make connections and instead of buying new copper, I want to use the old stuff that will fit. I don't think it's a bad but want to get your thoughts... Thanks in advance.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

It's likely okay, but a good visual inspection to see if there are any pits or other corrosion is a worthwhile first step. Copper pipe can last a very long time.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by philtrap View Post
    Folks,

What are your thoughts about using scraps of old straight copper piping for a new boiler installation. These pipes are almost 50 years old. I had to remove a few feet of copper and now I need a small piece here and there for some 90's to make connections and instead of buying new copper, I want to use the old stuff that will fit. I don't think it's a bad but want to get your thoughts... Thanks in advance.
    What Jim said, but from one Long Islander to another: Wadda ya friggin' nuts? (sorry, lol) Even with the cost of copper being what it is, installing a new boiler costs a lot of money, why try to salvage 20 bucks or so of old copper?
    Last edited by BobL43; 07-01-2013 at 06:42 AM.
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

Quote Originally Posted by BobL43 View Post
    What Jim said, but from one Long Islander to another: Wadda ya friggin' nuts? (sorry, lol) Even with the cost of copper being what it is, installing a new boiler costs a lot of money, why try to salvage 20 bucks or so of old copper?
    Bob - It's really for a few very short lengths. I didn't want to buy a 10' length when I only needed a tiny amount. I'm probably going to end up using all new copper, but was just wondering what the thoughts on reusing short pieces was...

FWIW, the blue and orange box stores around here sell 2-foot lengths of rigid copper. Of course, it costs about a third to a half the price of a 10-footer ...