Tub to Shower Conversion

Users who are viewing this thread

Ricleb

Reaction score
I am remodeling a bathroom in my home, which is on a slab. I would like to replace the 30 x 60 tub with the swanstone 32 x 60 retrofit shower base. My question is in reference to venting of the new shower stall. The main vent is 3" cast iron. My sink is approximately 24" c/l of drain to the left and drains into the 3" vent and the toilet connection is directy in front of the vent.
The tub drain c/l is approximately 36" to the right of the cast iron vent. The existing tub drain is 1-1/2" and I believe converts to 2" below grade. Some literature that I read indicates that a vent should be within 5' of the trap and following the run of the drain I should be within that criteria. Do I need to install a dedicated shower vent or not. By the way there is a slab rough in at the tub drain area that is approximately 14" x 14" so I have a little room to work, howerver this would obviously be covered by the new base and would be difficult to vent there.

Thanks
Rick

Swan 60x32 shower base to replace tub
swan_3260R.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One thing you'll need to do is break up the concrete to get to the 2" line...the drain to a shower is required to be 2" in most locals. The drain also is usually installed in the middle of the shower, too. If you'd like to consider a tiled shower, take a look on www.schluter.com and look at their Kerdi product...really neat, and probably less than the thing you were looking for. Also, check out www.johnbridge.com on tiling questions.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Top Five Steps to plan your "Tub to Shower Conversion".

I got a call yesterday that the plumber on the most current job site is not familiar with how to replace a tub and plumb the new drain for a shower.

Most times the drains are in the center of a shower but when you remove a tub the drain is at one side.
This is an easy fix and using a linear shower drain makes for a one way slope.

You can also grade your floor and use just a single point drain. The options are all your.

Converting a tub to a shower. Here are five Ideabooks to get you started. The articles on Houzz are design related. Here on Terry's site you will get the meat and potatoes of the build. One simple thing to do when planning a tub to shower conversion is to set up an account both here on Terry Love's forum. Then you can post questions in either venue as you need help.

What I like most about this is the extra eyes you place on the job.

Convert Your Tub Space to a Shower

Step 1 - The Planning Phase

Step 2 - The Fixtures-Shopping Phase

Step 3 - The Tiling and Grouting Phase

Step 4 - Waterproofing and Drainage

Step 5 - Choosing Accessories

The reason the waterproofing and drainage step is after the tile and grout step is because this is a design session. It is not until you understand the end design that you can pick the right products to waterproof a shower.

Need help figuring out how to bust in a new drain line? Start a thread.

Need help tweaking a fixture? Start a thread.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks