electric water heater: no drain valve??

Users who are viewing this thread

Gramps

Reaction score
I need to replace my 25 year old Rheeem electric water heater. naturally i would have to drain it first, but there is an odd situation that is preventing me.
as you can see from the photo, there is no tap for draining it.
At the top of the unit are 3 plastic covers. maybe there is pressure relief value under those plastic covers, but how would you drian this?
I was planning on maybe doing the job myself properly.
water pipe.jpg
IMG-20130629-00008.jpg
-g

Attachments

• IMG-20130629-00006.jpg
    IMG-20130629-00006.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,771
Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Obviously a non-standard install. It looks like the drain port was used for either the cold entry or a recirc line. The TPR if that is what is shown, is in the wrong place and would not sense a high temp.

Remove the lower element and screw a hose bib in its stead to drain it.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I would not have suggested it if that were the case. Elements are very often replaced without draining the tank.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They made your job hard.

Like mentioned above, the drain was removed.
If you keep all the taps closed, you can cut the copper pipe and slip on a sharkbite hosebib that will allow a hose connection.
You will need to shut off the water supply first.
By keeping everything closed, the water will drain very slowly, allowing some time to cut and push on the hosebib.
It's like holding you thumb on top of a straw. The tank will be slow to drain if no air can replace the water as it drains.

Gramps

Reaction score
if quickly put on a sharkbite, the water wont gush out quickly at first? i don't understand the purpose of removing the lower element if this is the method.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Terry and I gave two different options. If you cut the pipe like Terry suggests, then don't remove the lower element. If you cut the pipe you will get water from the top section of pipe so be prepared to catch it or quickly plug it.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Remove the relief valve and screw in a hose bib in its place that will allow you to drain most of the water.

John

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, do NOT replicate the install you have! A T&P valve needs to be installed on the hot outlet or the special port near the top of the tank provided for it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks