Vanity Drain Move

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYdude

Reaction score
I'm in the process of moving a drain in a non-load bearing wall for a vanity I'm installing. I've carefully staked out the new location of the drain to correspond with the square factory cutout on the back of the vanity. I've attached a few pictures:

(1) Pic 1: Current location. New location is marked by "cross-hairs" on the cardboard attached to the wall studs.

(2) Pic 2: Picture from a plumbing book I've been using.

(3) Pic 3: Coupling I was going to use at one of the ABS pipe joints. The rest of the joints would utilize rigid ABS couplings.

Does this seem like a good plan? I'll obviously have to pay attention to the location of other plumbing lines and electrical lines. This work will be inspected by the city when I'm finished.

Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC01096.JPG
    DSC01096.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 984
  • DSC01098.JPG
    DSC01098.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 839

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Picture #1. I see a horizontal line but no crosshairs. Picture #2 is overkill for your purposes. You just need a sanitary tee turned to the side and a pipe over to the location with an elbow on the end Picture #3, WRONG coupling.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Like hj mentions; Cut out the lav santee, and replace with one pointing toward the right, and then 90 out of the wall there.
The correct couplings woud be a metal shield coupling.

mission_bandseal.jpg

dwv_b2.jpg

Last edited:

Hammerlane

Reaction score
You just need a sanitary tee turned to the side and a pipe over to the location with an elbow on the end.

Fittings #1 and #7 below:

Attachments

• Dave88LX%2520from%2520terry%2520forum%25202.jpg
    Dave88LX%2520from%2520terry%2520forum%25202.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,255

DIYdude

Reaction score
I've attached a better pic that includes lines drawn with a sharpie; the cross-hairs represent the center point inside the square drain opening on the back of the vanity. I also drew lines on the studs to represent the top and bottom of the vanity's square opening. Since I need to clear the shutoff valves to tee off to the right, how high can I go with a new tee?

Attachments

• DSC01100.jpg
    DSC01100.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 834

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Assuming the existing trap is properly vented, if you turned the fitting (it will require cutting and replacing) to run along the wall, the vent is close enough so that you can just run it horizontally and then turn it out of the wall where you need it. It should have a downward slope from where it turns out from the wall back to the new fitting.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The height of the tee is determined by the counter height.
In the 70's, we roughed at 18" for a 30" counter
Then at 20" for a 32"
If you have a 36", then maybe 24"
All of this has a little plus or minus, and depends on the depth of the bowl. An undermount may drop things a bit.

If the copper is in the way, get rid of it, run the waste and then put the copper back around it.
Waste has to grade down, water supply can go in circles if needed.

DIYdude

Reaction score
I took some measurements. I've also included pics of the vanity. Also, I'm not sure if I'll need the flexible coupling, but Home Depot only had 1 1/2" to 1 1/4" couplings. Are the couplings with the ribbed shielding the same?:

Bottom of sink from floor: 26 3/4"
Counter height: 34 3/4"
Bottom of current drain pipe from subfloor: approx 16 1/2"

DSC01104.jpg

DSC01103.JPG

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Home Depot has the 1.5" couplings.
Roughing at 20" should be safe if there is not a drawer below.
You can always add tail piece.

DIYdude

Reaction score
Home Depot has the 1.5" couplings.
Roughing at 20" should be safe if there is not a drawer below.
You can always add tail piece.

Ok, I'll make another trip to the Depot and take a closer look. There's a drawer below the sink, but it tops out at approx 13 1/2" from the floor. So, I should be in good shape. Thanks to everyone for your expertise. It's greatly appreciated.

DIYdude

Reaction score
I found the shielded coupling at HD. One of the associates and I overlooked it the first time around.

Ok, I have another question: Is there anything wrong with routing the pipe the way I'd originally planned? I forgot that there's some heavy gauge wiring in the wall that's in the path of a straight tee to the new drain location. Higher up the stud, the wiring is set back a bit more, allowing for a notch to be cut for the tee.

Attachments

• DSC01107.JPG
    DSC01107.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 820
Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would just turn the santee to the right and use a single trap arm with a 90 looking out.
There is not need to drill over two lines.

What you have drawn with the vent at the top is too low, and it's not even needed.
You showing a line below and a line above when all you need to do is go straight for it.

DIYdude

Reaction score
I would just turn the santee to the right and use a single trap arm with a 90 looking out.
There is not need to drill over two lines.

What you have drawn with the vent at the top is too low, and it's not even needed.
You showing a line below and a line above when all you need to do is go straight for it.

The vent wouldn't be quite that low, but it doesn't sound like it would still be high enough; I read something about flood rim level a few minutes ago. Ok, I'll have to figure out how to work around the electrical line. I was thinking about moving the supply shutoffs and drain to all fit inside the 8-inch wide vanity factory cutout, which would allow me to remove the blocking in the wall for the hot water stub that's next to the electrical line and also avoid cutting into a vanity panel. The cutout might be too narrow to fit everything, though.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you arm over, it's way below the electrical anyway.

If you move over the entire plumbing, then you have to pass it on the way up.
It's one santee, one medium 90 and two couplings and done!

You can remove the existing blocking.
And there is no rule as to where the water needs to be in the cabinet.
I like to have them at least 4" apart so I can work with them. They could both be to one side or vertical.

Last edited:

DIYdude

Reaction score
Ok, I'm going to be moving the drain later this week, but the pipe that the current drain tees off is right at the edge of the soleplate (about 1/4" from the edge). So, it appears that drilling a hole in the stud to the right is out of the question, since the hole needs to be 5/8"+ from the stud edge. Also, the coupling for the new 1 1/2" pipe tee will fall right on the wall stud when turned to the right to run the new line; if I notch the stud, I may violate code, as the coupling is 2 1/4" in diameter. Suggestions? Does this possibly require moving the whole vertical pipe to the new stud bay?

Attachments

• DSC01154.jpg
    DSC01154.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 755
  • DSC01156.jpg
    DSC01156.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 734
Last edited:

DIYdude

Reaction score
Does this work? Are there any code issues about which I should be concerned? The city will be inspecting the completed work.

(1) Two 60's to move the pipe over to the next stud bay from below.
(2) Move the vent tee into the next stud bay.
(3) Tee off the new vertical pipe to run a new drain. I'm not sure if the pipe from the tee to the 90 for the drain has to be a certain minimum length by code. I don't think so.
(4) The two electrical lines will be moved. Their loads are in this same wall, so it SHOULD be a trivial move.

Attachments

• Drain1.jpg
    Drain1.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 611
  • Drain2.jpg
    Drain2.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 648
Last edited:

DIYdude

Reaction score
I asked the city about using a stud shoe if I were to tee off to the right on the existing pipe, since I'll be violating code if I notch the stud to accommodate the fitting. They were ok with it.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Since I plumb in Seattle, I'm not surprised.

My great grandfather lived in Seattle after he returned from the Alaska Gold Rush. The home he built is still on lower Queen Anne, somewhat close to the Seattle Center.

Last edited:

DIYdude

Reaction score
I'm actually in Federal Way, but yeah, same story. When I asked about stud shoes at Home Depot and McLendon's, everyone said they'd never heard of them; one of the HD associates found it online, but they don't stock them. I found one at Lowe's, but it's spec'd up to 2" OD pipe. Do you know of a local supply house that might carry them? It seems like it shouldn't be this hard to find one that's the appropriate size. Here are the closest I could find to what I need:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks