Water Softener selection help again

Users who are viewing this thread

Freddi

Reaction score
This may look familiar; as I asked for some help a while ago. I still have not finished selecting and installing a softener, and my wife is getting pretty cranky. The last time I asked about this, it seems as though the thread got out of hand.....so i decided to start out fresh.

The particulars:

- 3700 sq.ft. home with 3.5 bathrooms, 2 with bathtub, 2 Showers with water saver heads
- 1 bath, and 2 showers a day, typically.
- 5 people
- 1" copper softener loop
- Based on water usage, for the previous year, (not including irrigation) averages about 500 gallons a day. (I'm guessing the kids take too long in the shower)

Here are the water particulars (municipal water - Blaine, MN)

- hardness (grains) 18-20
- iron (ppm): 0.00

After I talked to the City Water Super, he commented that the iron is 0.0 for 9 months out of the year, but during the summer they have to use extra wells, and that they poly during those summer months, but I might see some days that approach 1-2ppm.

My concerns; My family will be getting smaller in the next three years. I don't think want a system that will be grossly oversized. (mostly to avoid bridging problems etc.) I don't mind if it back washes more than once a week, but also don't want to burn through salt too fast. So using what I learned from the last thread (i think)...I'm thinking something like this:

Fleck 7000SXT Valve (for the higher flow)
96000 grain rated softener, which is 3.0 cuFt of media in a 14x65 Resin Tank
I will run it at a 8lb per cuft rate, which will give me 72000 grains capacity. (seems like the best compromise of salt usage / capacity)

500*20 grains (assuming worst case to avoid breakthrough) I need 10,000 grains of capacity / per day. The above system / dosing; I should be regenerating once a week, thus using about 100 pounds a salt a month. (3cuft @ 8lbs = 24lbs * 4 Weeks = 96 lbs a month...two 50lb bags)

Is my math Correct? Does the system particulars sound good? (right size resin tank etc) Should I be looking at a larger amount of media? 3.5 Cuft or 4? Should I consider 10% crosslink resin, or not worth it?

I have looked at several online merchants, but haven't set my heart on any. Any recommendations? (I need to get this done before new MN sales taxes may increase my prices...so if any of the online guys frequent here...and want to help me out...and win some business, PM me)

thanks in advance.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The 500 GPD... if that is your water meter reading, does it include irrigation? Average daily water use should be closer to 60 Gallons per person per day. Irrigation should not be fed off of the softener.

Assuming a properly designed system, and slightly lower water usage, a 2.5 Cu. Ft. system 7000SXT would be perfect for your application. The system size is also normal looking. 3 Cu. Ft. and 4 Cu. ft systems are huge in comparison.

stevenjer

Reaction score
I searched long and wide before deciding on a softener, then we discovered the no salt alternatives which needs no salt or maintenance. After looking at several brands I had to decide between Easywater and Scalewatcher, both seemed reputable and trustworthy companies. Finally we bought the Scalewatcher 3 star from Aqua Genesis because it had lower price ($499) and longer warranties. It's been over a year now: the scale in my showerhead went away and never came back, our water heater heats up faster, we had to lower the temp setting or we get burned, and we love the way our hair and skin feels after the shower. This is where I bought mine aquagenesisusa and i can honestly recommend them.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Thanks for the advertisement! Oh yeah, I have developed a new water treatment method, just send me $499 and I will send you a magic rope that you wrap around your pipe that stops scale from ever occurring. The rope has an internal core or "Unubtanium". Trust me. :)

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
But they've got all the right logos on their web page -- NSF, WQA, etc. -- how can you go wrong?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks