bathroom ceiling water stain

Users who are viewing this thread

pangtouyu

Reaction score
The unit underneath mine has a leak in their bathroom ceiling so we suspect that something is leaking from upstairs. There is a shallow line on the ceiling across where the upstairs bathtub is. And there is a yellow circle in the middlow, approximate the position of the bathtub drain. What might be the problem?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Duh! A wild guess, but maybe a leak from the tub drain? If I infer correctly, this is an apartment or condo, and if so, it is not a DIY fix. Your leak has caused property damage to another person's property and must be repaired on your dime. The sooner you get a contractor on this, the better. I'd be surprised if the owner of the damaged unit hasn't already started legal action.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
Duh! A wild guess, but maybe a leak from the tub drain? If I infer correctly, this is an apartment or condo, and if so, it is not a DIY fix. Your leak has caused property damage to another person's property and must be repaired on your dime. The sooner you get a contractor on this, the better. I'd be surprised if the owner of the damaged unit hasn't already started legal action.
If it is a apartment, just report it and the owners will fix it...

I don't know about Georgia, but in some locations/condos, any plumbing problem originating below your sub-floor is the headache of the lower unit...

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Blue Binky may be correct about liability, I don't know the legal technicalities for sure. Common sense tells me it would be the fault of the upper unit, but in any case, the advice about reporting the problem to the condo association or property owner is sound. There could be insurance coverage to cover the damage and repair, but again, you can not DIY the repairs.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would look at the faceplate of the overflow to make sure it's sealed.
Then look for caulking around tub spouts and valves. Make sure the shower arm is solid in the wall with no spray back.
Check around the toielt bowl to make sure there is no water at the base.
Check under the sink (Lav) and make sure there are no leaks there.

As a last resort, somebody can cut the ceiling. It could be a bad joint on the overflow, or a bad tub spout pushing water back into the wall.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Leaking water will flow to the lowest point and THEN come through the ceiling, so where the leak shows could be a long way from where it is occurring. As a last resort, a "mini camera" probe through a small hole in the ceiling MIGHT show where it is happening, or at least which direction the water is coming from. The overflow plate is ALWAYS the first thing to check.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not to discount the advice of the much more learned pros, I will again point out that very seldom, if ever, can a tenet perform plumbing, electrical, or structural repairs on rental units. It is almost certainly your leak, and it is damaging someones property, so you need to get a professional on the job. Probably through the property owner.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
HJ, I realize what you are saying, but another unit is involved. He told us in the first post that the leak was in the ceiling of the unit below him, and I believe he needs to get a professional involved now before the problem gets worse or the neighbor gets upset.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks