Corner toilets? SinkPositive

Users who are viewing this thread

Suceress

Reaction score
Awhile back I was browsing through pictures of solutions for small spaces and I happened upon a photo of a toilet that actually fits in to a corner diagonally. I'd seen corner sinks before but I admit I was fascinated by the corner toilet. I doubt I would actually get one because I think there would be space issues (depending on the size of the toilet).

Here are three examples:
Mod toilet from UK
tumblr_mozs0yJ1ox1qhfuqwo1_400.jpg

Regent Dual Flush
tumblr_mozs43MHkj1qhfuqwo1_500.jpg

Barnum Dual Flush
tumblr_mozs6c9ukp1qhfuqwo1_500.jpg

I now know that American Standard makes them too.

I am not actually thinking of getting one, but I admit my curiosity is piqued and for my edification (and perhaps just to catalog more varieties of toilets) I was wondering if anyone here had any experiences with corner toilets? Anyone heard of them or used them?

Are they any good?

If there are any good ones, which ones are better?

What are the pros and cons?

Would anyone recommend one for a small space? Why or why not?

Also, I admit I'm also intrigued by this:
tumblr_m4gddxxIan1qhfuqwo1_500.jpg

I didn't know a sink could be put on a toilet tank (although I'm not entirely sure its such a good idea). Granted it looks like a better idea than the toilet with a washing machine as a tank. That one has so many things that can go wrong...

Any thoughts?

corner-toilet-kohler.jpg

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I think the Titan Pro corner (triangle) toilet has been discontinued. AS's web site shows them all as "available while supplies last". Odd, as it is basically just a triangle tank on a base that they use in another toilet.

Suceress

Reaction score
I can't believe I didn't notice until you mentioned it that some of them are just corner tanks on top of regular toilet bases. Except for the UK one (which has been discontinued, IIRC).

I wonder if Toto ever made any. I'm thinking they haven't, but I bet they could find a market for it.

I wonder if any company would ever make a corner sink tank for a toilet. That would be interesting.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Toilet

Eljer's "Triangle" was the first one and is still made. A conventional toilet's pipe has to be 12" from the back wall and 15" minimum for the side walls. A triangle toilet's pipe has to be 12" from BOTH walls to fit properly. The tank is the only difference between a conventional and corner toilet. Toilet from Britain, etc., are not always IAPMO approved and might not pass a final inspection.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The Eljer Triangle (i.e. Titan Triangle, Patriot Triangle and Patriot Triangle EL), like the AS Titan Pro Triangle, may still be available out there, but they are all marked on the manufacturer's web sites as discontinued. AS does still make a Triangle Cadet Pro.

Suceress

Reaction score
Thanks for the info!

The UK toilet looked like it didn't have much wiggle room and it appeared to me to be closer to the walls than it should have been, but I'm not very good at eyeballing things like that.

The US versions are interesting.

I like the look of the Regent one because it reminds me of some antique fixtures, but it looks like it would be uncomfortable.

I also wonder if corner toilets actually save any space or if its just for aesthetics.

Oh NOW the thing shows me threads called "corner toilet". When I used the search it didn't bring them up. LOL.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

The toilets do NOT "save space" but they use it better, because you do not have to worry about "knee room" between it and a wall, tub, or sink cabinet. The "sink and toilet" combination is a Japanese idea and is not approved for the U.S, (other than stainless steel units for use in prisons).

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A toilet install in the USA requires 15" either side of centerline to any obstruction. That might be easier to attain on a corner toilet, depending on how that measurement is taken. But, as said, the bigger thing is knee room. Because there are so few choices, I would never design a new installation to require one as it limits your choices way too much for the future should you, or the person buying the house, decide it needed an update.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

The "dynamics" of a corner toilet almost insure that it will be 15" away from any obstacle at the "center of the bowl" where the measurement would be taken. But since the openng will ONLY be 12" from the side wall, it can never be replaced with a conventional toilet unless the pipe is shifted. And, it would usually have a cabinet next to it which would interfere with the leg room.

Suceress

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies. I actually mentioned it on Toto's facebook page and they said they would look in to the idea of making corner toilets. Of course, they could just have been saying that as an automated response.

I didn't realize that the toilet sinks were not approved in the US. That explains why I've never seen any of them. I don't think they would be all that great in houses, but maybe in mobile homes or something.

I actually started to consider getting a corner toilet when remodeling my guest bath/laundry room area but there aren't any places around here that sell them.

In the meantime, I'm trying to make 3D models of corner toilets to use as custom content for my Sims 3 game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Terry used to sell and ship toilets...he had a 20% breakage rate by the shippers and it just became too problematic, so he now only sells them locally, or where he has an agreement. He may have an agreement with someone in LA. Have you checked his storefront?

His rate seems consistent with my experience...in buying 5, one got broken.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
As noted, buying a toilet on line can be problematic because of breakage. Assuming you inspect the shipment and find the breakage before accepting delivery, most dealers will make good on replacement. The problem lies in the time it may take to get the replacement. Might be wise to check with their CS before ordering to see just what their requirements are regarding damage claims and then make very certain you follow their rules carefully. Even to the extent of numerous photos of the unpacking process. As an alternative, you might want to do a bit more shopping. Toto prices can really vary for dealer to dealer.

upndnglo

Reaction score
Awhile back I was browsing through pictures of solutions for small spaces and I happened upon a photo of a toilet that actually fits in to a corner diagonally. I'd seen corner sinks before but I admit I was fascinated by the corner toilet. I doubt I would actually get one because I think there would be space issues (depending on the size of the toilet).

Here are three examples:
Mod toilet from UK
Any thoughts?

upndnglo

Reaction score
This is an old thread, but I just wanted to say something in reference to the corner toilets. I have a loft bedroom with spiral stairs going down, and it's a bit precarious having to relieve myself in the middle of the night. Because of the sloped ceiling, I have no room for a powder room, but I was going to put just a toilet in a closet-like area. I was going to put a sink/tank cover on it. Someone in this thread said you can't use them in the U.S. but I just saw that Home Depot sells them for about $129 so I guess they are o.k. to use them in the U.S. now!

http://sinkpositive.com/web/

sinkpositive.jpg

Jadnashua

Reaction score
It can be very misleading...as HJ said, the codes apply to what can be installed, but have no impact on what is sold. People that decide to use unapproved products don't care about the codes until it bites them (and it may never - more likely upon sale of the property, though).

Suceress

Reaction score
Yeah, big box stores sell some things here (such as AAVs and S-trap kits) that are not allowed by code. I wonder if the toilet with the sink is banned completely or if the sink part is not sufficient to meet the requirements for a sink in the bathroom and an additional sink would be needed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks