Problem with natural gas pressure in home?

Users who are viewing this thread

buildumup

Reaction score
I am having a problem with what seems to be a possible pressure problem with the natural gas in my home. Any time two gas appliances in the home are used at the same time (ie. furnace, hot water tank, stove, dryer) the pressure seems to drop. I am saying this because for example, if you are using the stove the burners have a nice flame to them but when the furnace comes on you could have it on high and it would seem like you have it on low. Also at that time the furnace output gets colder. This is very noticable when using the dryer in the winter or when waiting for the hot water tank to heat back up after a shower. I have looked at the incomming line to the meter and there is no visable pressure regulator in line. Should there be? I just installed a new furnace reciently and have the same problem as I did with the old one, and this one is a lower BTU model. Any suggestions would help. :confused:

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Normally there is a regulator just ahead of the meter. The gas company could tell you what you have.

Your problem probably does not relate to a static pressure problem, but a delivery problem. The pressure available AT your appliances seems to drop as more gas is used. This drop in pressure could be caused by an improperly designed piping system ( pipes too small) or blockage in the line.

If any of your line is underground, a corroded and collapsed pipe has been know to happen . Also, if there is a belly (droop) in the pipe this can actually fill with water from an underground leak or even condensation.

Usually, the gas company will send a technician to your house. He will use a manometer to watch the pressure at various points, as the loads are applied. He will not repair the leak, but will give you a good start on the troubleshooting. Their service is free. Otherwise you will need to pay a plumber.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gas

Here, if the gas company detects a leak, on the customer side of the meter, they will not find it, but will lock the meter until a plumber finds and fixes the leak, and then the city inspects the entire system and finally gives the gas company permission to unlock the meter and turn the gas back on. I tell people, "If you have a problem with your gas, do not call the gas company unless, or until, you know that the problem is with their line before the meter. call your plumber first."

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
bad gas meter

occasionally we get a complaint that
the water heater poliot light is going out

what is happenning is the furnace comes on and literally
sucks all the gas out of the line and actually puts out the
water heater...

it is becasue the gas meter has got a "catch" in it that is
not allowint enough gas through it....

they will check it out for free, we recently had one that
the actual line comming up to the gas meter was "crimped"
almost shut......

they ended up digging up the line to the house.....

call the gas company......its all free ouitside your house...

steve from Turlock

Reaction score
pipe size ??

Is there a lot of 1/2 inch pipe/long runs in your house?? Maybe your pipe is just smaller than you need.

CityKid

Reaction score
Can you use sizing that is too big? I am planning to add to the existing line (WH & furnace) with a dryer & stove. I am afraid of having items output dipping down.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
go big or stay home

with black pipe its no big deal

its far, far better to oversize a system than to undersize it...
I have literally saved myself TONS of greif before by just spending
a little more for one inch pipe vs 3/4...

especially after the job is done and THEN the fool home
owner decides to add an outside grill, laundry or
a fireplace insert ect long after the drywall is hung and finished...
ant ist impossible to increase the size....

I get to be the last one to find out...

the presure stays the same , its just the volume of gas
being able to go through the pipe that you are increaseing...

go for it, their is no law that says you cant

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks