175' sewer question?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob S

retired forgettful journeyman plumber
Reaction score
We are fortunate to have three full baths in out home. I was wondering if you could help me with this question/ I have all 7 gallon toilets in my home. All,.. on two sewers.She cleans then every week and uses "iron out" I think the porcelain glaze is getting kind of rough 'the shine].Will 3 gallon toilets get the job done on this long of a run....clear to the main, in the street? Theres just her and i here, and the dog,and the dog would rather go outside:D thank you if you need more info let me know bob s

This sewer is all pvc..installed right. never have had a stoppage in 20 years.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My parents home has one 3.5, and two 1.6 bowls.
It's 250 to the street sewer with 4" clay lines that were installed in 1962.
Never a backup.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Where will you even get 3 gallon toilets? They have been illegal for over 20 years. You need to understand that toilet waste does not flush through the entire waste line, even short ones, with one flush.

Bob S

Reaction score
My parents home has one 3.5, and two 1.6 bowls.
It's 250 to the street sewer with 4" clay lines that were installed in 1962.
Never a backup.

I have the toilets mixed up.. I think.. what was the standard water amt 25 years AGO?/ My toilets are the large tank, that i rebuilt mine to/for this long sewer.. I am thinking they are 7 gallon . am i right?The newest toilets are 3.5? and i want to change over to the newest size. just don't want sewer trouble.

The old big ones are 3 not 7 aayy Gary. i have forgotten a lot since i retired from plumbing along time ago bob s

yes they might be illegal. but its my choice.plugged sewer or get caught. right?,

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In the mid 80's, toilets went down to 3.5 gallons
In 1992, they went down to 1.6
California now uses 1.28

I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

Bob S

Reaction score
In the mid 80's, toilets went down to 3.5 gallons
In 1992, they went down to 1.6
California now uses 1.28

I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

Thank You Terry!! much appreciated from an x-plumber :rolleyes: bob s

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, Toto now has a 1g flush toilet that gets good reviews. Toilets will continue to decrease their water usage as technology and water issues evolve.

Bob S

Reaction score
Where will you even get 3 gallon toilets? They have been illegal for over 20 years. You need to understand that toilet waste does not flush through the entire waste line, even short ones, with one flush.

"Waste does not flush waste" through the waste line???????????

Bob S

Reaction score
He is saying it takes more than one flush for "toilet waste [to] flush through the entire waste line", and even with the short lines.

OK! i am clearer now.Seems abit odd that they..outlawed large toilets. when they can just flush and will,the smaller ones even more times, sounds funny aaayy! bob s

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
NOt all toilets are created equal, just like not all cars are, or pretty much anything made in this world. Some work quite well flushing with the mandated lower water usages...some, even some of the big old brand names, do not. As a brand, my experience with Toto has shown them to be good both in performance and in QA/QC. It takes both a good design and quality manufacturing to ensure you get a good one.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Any TOTO bowl using 1.6 or less will clog less often than a Norris 7.0 gallon bowl from the 70's
Funny, but true!
With the 7.0 gallon bowls, I had a plunger by them all the time.
Plunger sales have gone way down since people are buying better toilets.

I like your new avatar
image.php

Bob S

Reaction score
Any TOTO bowl using 1.6 or less will clog less often than a Norris 7.0 gallon bowl from the 70's
Funny, but true!
With the 7.0 gallon bowls, I had a plunger by them all the time.
Plunger sales have gone way down since people are buying better toilets.

I like your new avatar
image.php

Thank you on the avatar. i also have A full kustom 49 chopped Merc and a chopped 32 steel 3-window cpe 49 chopped lt-1 powered red chopped convert working top..built many many of these Kars guess theres not alot of room for the plumbing knowledge i once knew. So a toto is the one to have?As i said the ones i have now work great .just getting harder to clean cause of age and her.Thank you again for bearing with me on this thread bob s

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks