Washing machine box rough in

Users who are viewing this thread

John28

Reaction score
My question pertains to the washing machine box rough in with supplies and standpipe. Under normal rough in this box usually ends up around 42 -48in., but what about todays pedestal washers putting them at a height of 53in.? Is there a standard rough in for these, as the 42-48in. height would be too low for the standpipe. I'm guess I'd need the bottom off the box at a minimum of the washer height of 53in? Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It doesn't matter if the washer is higher.
I used to put the top of the box at 48" because it was a natural break for the drywall.
We sometimes drain a washer into a laundry tray, which is even lower.

You need a long enough standpipe for a washer to prevent overflow.

washer_rough_1.jpg

804.1 All plumbing fixtures or other receptors
receiving the discharge of indirect waste pipes shall be
approved for the use proposed and shall be of such
shape and capacity as to prevent splashing or flooding
and shall be located where they are readily accessible
for inspection and cleaning. No
standpipe receptor for
any clothes
washer shall extend more than thirty (30)
inches (762 mm), nor less than eighteen (18) inches
(457 mm) above its trap. No trap for any clothes

washer standpipe receptor shall be installed below the
floor, but shall be roughed in not less than six (6)
inches (152 mm) and not more than eighteen (18)
inches (457 mm) above the floor.

washer-rough-dual.jpg

The before

washer-rough-terrylove-2.jpg

And after it's finished.

washer_rough_sno.jpg

And one more.

index.php

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
box

The box has to be higher than the water level inside the machine, but front loads do NOT fill the drum, they just have a small amount of water in the bottom, so the standard height is okay. If it were not, we would have to raiser EVERY washer box and standpipe when a washer with pedestal was purchased, (and a front load without a pedestal is ridiculous.)

John28

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, that makes more sense, everything you reads states from washer top.

RTsquirrel

Reaction score
I have a client who's kitchen remodel is including the laundry in his large kitchen. The base cabinets will actually hide the washer & dryer, with regular looking cabinet doors completing the concealment of the front loading machines. Obviously, he wants the washer box below the elevation of the marble counter top. My concern is with the accessibility to the washer box. I can easily put a clean out on the vent line and a cover on it at trim out, but what about "access to the hot & colds shut offs?"
Has anyone done this?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The hassle when going outside of the 'norm' is, that the next owner of the house have use a different appliance and it no longer works...then, if they look at the codes, if it wasn't installed per that, things can start to get ugly. Code is generally written so it will work with any compliant device. If your inspector lets you get buy, depending on the timeframe, you may have issues or he will when he wants to change things down the road.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The client probably thinks this is SO ingenious and SO fabulous, but he/she is going to hate it after the third or fourth time they use it. Unless the client or their spouse or cleaning person really like to get down on their knees on the kitchen floor to do laundry, the novelty will wear off fast and the inconvenience will start to annoy.

I'm all for challenging the accepted wisdom, but one must bear in mind there is usually a REASON peoplle don't usually do stuff a certain way. It's very very rarely because nobody else thought of the "ingenious" idea, and usually because after thinking of it, they realized it wasn't a good idea. This is one.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
It seems to me that a washing machine box does not contribute anything here. You need a standpipe. You need accessible valves. In this case, trying to combine those two functions into a single box would make the wanted result harder.

Instead locate the valves where they are accessible, and pipe the output of the valves to the garden hose hose faucet fittings that are located where best for the washing machine.

Joshmee123

Reaction score
I have a client who's kitchen remodel is including the laundry in his large kitchen. The base cabinets will actually hide the washer & dryer, with regular looking cabinet doors completing the concealment of the front loading machines. Obviously, he wants the washer box below the elevation of the marble counter top. My concern is with the accessibility to the washer box. I can easily put a clean out on the vent line and a cover on it at trim out, but what about "access to the hot & colds shut offs?"
Has anyone done this?
Hi, what state ate you in and what ended up happening? I have the same dilemma. I think I'm going to play it safe and put it above. Thanks

misota

Reaction score
Hi, I'm going to add a laundry room down into my basement and there is a 3" drain line which is coming down from main floor washroom (not being used often). I'm wondering if I can tap into that line. I don't have any dry vent down there. What's the appropriate way to do it.
Thanks
Screenshot_20230317-184737~2.png

sfclimbers

Reaction score
If you are describing a wet venting setup, I believe that the toilet must be last (i.e. downstream of all other fxitures). So, I believe that your idea would not be allowed.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi, I'm going to add a laundry room down into my basement and there is a 3" drain line which is coming down from main floor washroom (not being used often). I'm wondering if I can tap into that line. I don't have any dry vent down there. What's the appropriate way to do it.
Thanks View attachment 91313
You'll need an aav if they are allowed in your jurisdiction. You'll want to call your local inspector to ask about that.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
absolutely needs the vent or a AAV . whatever you or your jurisdiction decides. I will say an AAV is a good solution to not having a vent and is safe to use .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks