Water Supply/water pressure issue

Users who are viewing this thread

wingnutty

Reaction score
So I have a question I've been struggling with and could use some feedback.

We moved into our home last year, it was built in 1996. Our house shares a community well (~40 users); curb stop at street corner. On our 2 acre lot, we have 3 hydrants, spaced around the property. As best I can tell, these 3 hydrants share the same water line, buried ~6' deep. I am not sure where our house supply line stubs off of the other line. I know the supply lines are 200 psi, and they appear to be black poly. The water pressure is 120 psi, measured at hydrants and in crawl space. So 2 issues:

1. We have pressure reduce in the crawl space, but I just checked it and it is not functioning, meaning the pressure on our lines in the house is 120 psi! YIKES! So, step 1, replace pressure reduce in the crawl space (I tried adjusting the valve and it's a no-go).

2. The pressure at all hydrants is, of course, also 120 psi! This seems insanely high to me and concerns me given that I have a lot of line buried around the lot, 6' deep. Should a leak occur, it probably wouldn't know about it for a loooong time, since I have very sandy soils and I'd likely never be able to find the leak and would have to replace all the lines. I would like to reduce the pressure in all of my lines, but to do so I'd have to install a PR valve at the curb stop, 6' underground. Should I be concerned and install a PR valve at the curb stop, or would ya'll just not worry much about it since the house was built in 1996 and to date, there haven't been any problems? If I did install a PR valve at the curb stop, how would I do this? I'd probably need a big well-pit assembly-type-structure (CMP culvert buried 6' deep) so that I could access the PR valve in the future to adjust or replace. But, the installation of a CMP structure would be quite expensive (I would assume the cost of excavation, install of valve and CMP would be well over $1,000 and we just had twins are a little monetarily tight right now).

So I guess my question really is, would you all be concerned about the 120 psi pressure in the 200 psi lines, or not? Would you install a PR valve at the curb stop and if so, how?

Thanks so much for any feedback, I've been wrestling with this for a while.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Montana..........Water needs to be at least five feet deep there to be below the frost line?

I don't like running 120 PSI in poly lines, but it's going to be difficult to reduce it out at the property line.
The PRV in the crawl will be easy though.

wingnutty

Reaction score
Yeah, frost line can go 4' at times. So probably just forget about the PRV at the curb stop then? I guess it has been fine for nearly 20 years, but I just worry about it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks