Grounding a submersible pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Arky217

Reaction score
Just had a well drilled with a PVC casing; for lightning protection, driller said to tap into the ground wire at the well head and run the tap to a driven ground rod near the well head.

In other words, the ground wire from the service panel is to go to a driven ground rod located near the well head and then continue on down the well to the pump ground.

Does this sound right ?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
We run the ground from the pump to the well cap & casing and then to the controls in the house. The electrician then grounds it back to the breaker box.

Arky217

Reaction score
We run the ground from the pump to the well cap & casing and then to the controls in the house. The electrician then grounds it back to the breaker box.

That makes sense if the casing is metal, but mine is PVC. So, would a ground rod subsitute for the metal casing ?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
So, would a ground rod subsitute for the metal casing ?

A single ground rod would be a poor substitute to what a metal casing can do in so far as dissipating lightning. It would probably take a dozen ground rods to be the equivalent of what a metal casing can be. Code would require that you use #6 wire to bond between grounds.

Lightning protection is complex and the amount of protection needed can vary by the situation. I have done work in that field, grounding high tension lattice towers for the POCO. For comprehensive protection, each situation needs to be evaluated and in the end, the cost of the protection needs to be weighed with the cost of replacement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks