(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DO NOT BUY FROM HOME DEPOT...and here's why and what happened to me today !!

Is all this discussion about a product purchased by a customer at Home Depot and now a service company is trying to repair under warranty.Is the service company trying to obtain warranty without having the customer prove or do anything? Now thats service. Maybe not making any money though. Our sales/service company will keep all the records of our sales and preform the warranty work and paperwork involved on the products during warranty repair. We sell appliances and electronics.Now if the customer buys his product from the lumberyard the customer can deal with the lumberyard and the manufacture.We warranty many brands, but will not go on a call from something bought at the lumberyard unless we get a dispatch confirming warranty repair from the manufacture.This seems to work well for us. After the customer has to go through the warranty process at the lumberyard they seem to come to us for their next purchase because we offer the same products only slightly higher prices. With the slightly higher price you get to be able to talk to the serviceman about any problems and we keep all the records. One of the tools our sales people us is "I you buy this from us we will take care of you. If you have any problem you can talk to the service man,the same sales man or the owner of the store.Can you get that from the lumberyard." So I guess I agree dont buy your appliances from a lumberyard.
    Politicians are like diapers. You need to change them often……for the same reason.

Default hd

quote; Is it really too much to ask for the original receipt for an in warranty replacement? Not unless you do a lot of business with the company and would have to sort through HUNDREDS of receipts, assuming you knew the approximate date for it. An "invoice" for the job, is not the same as a receipt for the heater's purchase. I do NOT have to "wait for a check from GE or Rheem". My wholesalers just exchange the tanks, sometimes with a "paperwork" fee but usually not. Bradford White, in this area, DOES require that the entire heater be returned, but the dealer then removes the nametag and scraps the tank, just like HD does. P.S., thanks for getting rid of that obnoxious avatar someone replaced mine with.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Quote Originally Posted by jacobsond View Post
    Is all this discussion about a product purchased by a customer at Home Depot and now a service company is trying to repair under warranty.Is the service company trying to obtain warranty without having the customer prove or do anything? Now thats service. Maybe not making any money though.
    Exactly my thought. I don't know why the Original Poster is "bent out of shape?" If it were me, I would give the prospective customer two options: Return the water heater themselves and exchange it for a new one, and quote a price for the installation, - or - quote them a price for you to do all the work. I think hauling a WH to HD, and exchanging it, and installing it is worth 8 hrs labor.
    If a hammer won't fix it, it's an electrical problem.

Default heater

You do NOT "exchange" the heater for "nothing". The customer gets charged for the time spent doing it. As for "verifying" the purchase, the majority of companies, other than Sears do NOT require anything other than the name tag to make the replacement. HOWEVER, if this is NOT the original heater and was replaced under warranty previously, the current heater will only have the remaining warranty from the first one, and the company DOES have that documentation.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Cool people get huffy about my record-keeping....

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Mark is right.

The paperwork is in a bag taped to the tank.
    The serial number that dates the heater is there next to the model number.
    The invoice is kept by the "original homeowner".

It really isn't our problem after that. Plumbers don't sell GE heaters unless they can't get to their normal supplier on a Monday through Friday setup. And I don't do water heaters on weekends anyway.

I do however have all my invoicing dating back to 1992 that I can email for all previous work that I have done for my customers.
    It takes me about a minute to pull up the information and email it as a pdf copy of the invoice.

Terry, you are getting spoiled in your old age if you wont even send your
    son out to install a water heater on Satruday.....

I can also pull up information on my quicken books going back to 1998...
    I dont have specifics of what we did, but can tell you the date, check #
    and amount you paid on that date....

I have had a few customers this week get all bent out of shape with me over leaking
    heaters.... One old fart demanded that I look up the date it was installed for him and I
    bluntly told him that I was not in front of my computor at that moment and was
    standing out in the middle of a parking lot and could not pull
    that information out of my ass at that time....
    I told him to read me the brand and model number off the heater
    and I could figure out how old it was.... and if it were still in warranty
    He acted like it was a great in-convienanace to him and got all peeved and hung up on me !!

I talked to another lady this morning and told her to get the model and serial number
    off the heater and to please call me back.... she too got huffey and asked me why I could not look it up
    for her..... I told her that I did not keep specific information on what brand of water heater we came out and serviced in her home 2 years ago.....

She has not called me back yet and its been 3 hours...

maybe its a full moon or something

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I told her that I did not keep specific information on what brand of water heater we came out and serviced in her home 2 years ago.....
    I don't keep that much detail either for a service call. All that information is on the heater anyway.
    If they purchased a water heater, the model number, but not the serial number is on the invoice.

However, the last water heater I purchased from the supplier, they did put the serial number on their invoice.
    Last edited by Terry; 06-23-2013 at 09:49 PM.

The box stores do have to deal with a lot of fraud and scams.
    Peolple will even but patio sets to have a big party for a weekend and then return the items instead of renting at some place.
    The return policy is very good compared with a lot of smaller stores and what we had to deal with before the box stores.
    For hardware I use one visa card for hardware only. That way don't have to save receipts for returns. They just scan the credit card and put a credit back on it. Without the visa or receipt can only get a gift card. Lowes is worst than HD. With too many will not allow for a couple of years to return without credit card or receipt.

Quote Originally Posted by rayh78 View Post
    The box stores do have to deal with a lot of fraud and scams.
    Bingo! They are inundated with that kind of thing because of their excessively lenient return policies, and of course it is the honest and responsible customers
    who end up paying for it. I, for one, am sick of subsidizing all the scammers, cheats, petty thieves and similar low-lifes, and am extremely glad
    to hear of one these places putting in place minimum standards of verification. Folks without receipts shouldn't be given the time of day, let alone money or
    new merchandise.

A year or two ago the Home Depots around here stopped giving store credit for no receipts. I buy so much stuff from Home Depot it is a huge hassle to keep all of them. I only keep the ones that I need to show for warranty requests. They let you check your credit card for receipts so I started doing that. Soon after they stopped giving store credit they started to give it again. There must have been a lot of customer backlash.

Home Depot has always been good to me. I've had a couple of issues here and there but overall they've been really nice to me. I am not a plumber though. I have had a LOT of bad experiences with Lowes though. I'm sure store to store you will find some nice workers and some jerks.

Around here, Lowes has a My Lowes card or something like that. It records all of your purchases so you don't have to worry about a receipt. I don't buy much at the big box stores, though. As an aside- even if you do save the receipt, those cash register receipts fade very quickly. If it's something important, better make a copy of it.